HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   Peep Tube Decreased Speed??? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/28721-peep-tube-decreased-speed.html)

W. Dale 04-20-2003 07:30 AM

Peep Tube Decreased Speed???

I complained to my Archery shop owner about the maintenance (having to change the tube periodically as it dry rots & cracks) and the posibility of it breaking while hunting, so he just took the rubber tube off and showed me how the peep will work without the tube.........He showed me how to rotate my knocking loop to keep the peep lined up as the string streches.........Not knowing if I liked this I put my tube back on and my grouping dropped 5" ...... What technically is the reason for the decreased speed just because the peep tube is tied to the string?
Seems to me the streched tube would aid the speed rather than slow the speed??
Your comments will be apreciated.........

c4extrem 04-20-2003 09:13 AM

RE: Peep Tube Decreased Speed???

if your groups drop 5" sounds like your ancher point is lower then before
you should go thu the steps of resetting your peep to match your ancher point
speed ? when you add weight to the sting it slows the bow down just like useing a heavier arrow. rubber tube and peep I have gained 3 to 6 fps when removing them give the timberline No peep a try if you don' t like the maintance with tube
there are other options to try
Greg

c903 04-20-2003 11:11 AM

I doubt very much that " speed" is the factor that you now have a 5" drop from POI.

Something moved or was moved. Did the person at the bow shop twist your string in an attempt to align your peep? Was your peep moved? If so, your nocking point height, peep height, and brace height were changed. Brace change not critical, nocking and peep height is. Change in peep height (eye to pin/anchor) would change your POI.

Also, wear and tear is the norm. Live it with it. Try quality surgical tubing that stretches.

Arthur P 04-20-2003 12:08 PM

A peep tube will slow your speed down 5 fps or more because of the extra weight on the string. It will slap around and cause extra noise you don' t need. It will wear out and it will break, usually at the worst time possible. If you don' t have your peep served in tight, it can also pull your peep up the string when you draw the bow. I can' t, for the life of me, figure out why anyone would want something like that on their bow, but whatever wrinkles your prune.

To answer why your groups dropped 5" , you probably slid the peep down the string a bit without noticing it when you reinstalled the tube.

jsager 04-20-2003 12:22 PM

I would also say that if your shooting that low your peep sight must have moved.

Buckbuster4ou 04-20-2003 05:01 PM

Very unlikely reattaching the tubing caused your groups to drop that much. Something must have moved. Check everything again, or slip the tubing off the peep- shoot - and see if it moves 5' ' up.

tm 04-21-2003 08:46 AM

The tubing is probably causing your nock point to move up after release. Makes sense if you think about it, the extra pull of the tubing is taking any slack out of the string below it.

JOE PA 04-21-2003 12:25 PM

On several occasions, when I still used peep tubing, I had the tubing break, or slide off the peep sight. At those times when I could still see through the peep sight, if I tried to keep shooting, I always shot high. When the peep tubing was replaced, I would shoot " back to normal" or lower than the peep without tubing. The effect was greater with a bow with 80%letoff. I think the peep tubing, especially if the tubing is tighter than it needs to be, pulls the string down, lowering the peep. The effect would be the same as lowering the peep on your string, except that it is pulled lower by the tubing. I' m not absolutely sure of this, but that is my theory. I' m pretty sure that the difference in impact point is not due to the difference in speed, which probably doesn' t amount to much more than a few fps. JMHO:)

2droptine 04-21-2003 04:54 PM

So what are the options to get rid of the tubing? I tried a No - Peep but it doesnt work for me. It does look like a good product for someone who can shoot with both eyes open.

P.S.
Anyone wanna buy a no-peep?

NewYorkHunter 04-21-2003 07:33 PM

There are no real other options on the market right now besides the no peep or the hindsight. You could attempt going with something like a fletcher peep that doesn' t use a tube. You would definitely want to get a high quality string that isn' t supposed to stretch much. Even with a good string, the peep has a good chance of rotating when taking the bow from hot to cold temperatures. If you come to full draw on a buck and the peep isn' t lined up...you get the idea