Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

New String

Old 12-21-2008, 04:46 AM
Fork Horn

Default New String

Can someone tell me the name of a good string that I won't have to worry about breaking in or "stretching." Also, the sticker on my Reflex indicated the number 59 for string. Does this indicate inches? Thanks.
Old 12-21-2008, 08:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: New String

No experience with any strings other than Bucknasty!They're great!
[email protected]
Old 12-21-2008, 10:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Vapor Trail.

1-800-310-8110

tell them your bow model, and they will compare the numbers off of your bow and what they have to make sure its right. Their turn around time is EXCELLENT!!!
Derek
Old 12-21-2008, 01:38 PM
bigcountry

My favorite is winners choice, but it will stretch the first 50 shots. Just the way it is even though it is prestretched. I like vapor trail, but it too has needed the 50 shot break in.

Old 12-21-2008, 01:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

It doesn't matter which brand of strings you buy. They all need a break-in period. The better ones, like Winner's Choice, Vaportrail, Bucknasty and others need as little as 10 shots while other may need 100 shots. During this time they all creep (stretch) till the strands are all doing equal work. This also varies, with the better ones creeping 1/8" till they settle, while overrated strings like Zebras have been known to creep an inch or more over their useable time.

I've only ever tried three aftermarket strings. Winner's Choice, Prostrings, and Bucknasty, priced in that order high to low. IMO Bucknasty was just as good but at nearly half the price of Winner's Choice. In fact, the workmanship of his servings was even better.

There ae literally dozens of good string makers today. I search either here or the classifieds on www.archerytalk.com would show some of them. Some are small operations so can't afford to advertise, but make a good string at a very affordable price. They just need someone to give them a chance. The one thing you will notice very readily is that any of them make better strings than what came on your bow from the factory. This also applies to the majority of factory strings.
Old 12-21-2008, 02:04 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: BGfisher
I've only ever tried three aftermarket strings. Winner's Choice, Prostrings, and Bucknasty, priced in that order high to low. IMO Bucknasty was just as good but at nearly half the price of Winner's Choice. In fact, the workmanship of his servings was even better.
Half the price? I don't think so hoss, go do a price check. Last one I ordered from from bucknasty, the set was $60 for a binary cam. I can get winners choice for $90 for a binary cam.
Gib makes good strings, no doubt, but sure not half.

Old 12-21-2008, 03:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

Half the price? I don't think so hoss, go do a price check. Last one I ordered from from bucknasty, the set was $60 for a binary cam. I can get winners choice for $90 for a binary cam.
Maybe BG gets a discount?My last string was about $75 shipped with some wax.I was going to shoot it about 25 arrows worth before putting peep in,the shop put it in anyway and no problems with peep rotation.You can call John on a Monday and he should get strings out Wednesday.
Old 12-21-2008, 07:59 PM
Fork Horn

[email protected]

get a hold of these guys they make their own string s and they are great no worries about stretch and they are tuff! i have new strings/cables on both of my bows and both have gotten faster with these new strings. and their prices are pretty reasonable and the guys are very easy to work with.
Old 12-22-2008, 08:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

There are a lot of good string companies out there. I for one have used Winners Choice and Wolf Den. I will always buy Wolf Den now. Just as good of quality and half the price. Most of them need a break in period. But like said, most of the better strings settle in after 20-50 shots.

Give the guys at Wolf Den a call. They're top notch.
Old 12-22-2008, 06:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

OK, so John has raised his price a little, but I based my statement on what I was charged for a string/cable set for a Matin shoot-through setup. That's a string and four cables. Still, I'll stand by my decision that John's strings were at least equal in quality and the servings were superior. I have the bows side by side to look at to prove it.
And I might also point out that the price of Winner's Choice can vary somewhat depending on just where you order them. Direct is surely the best way, but there are a lot of shops handling them now and charging $100 or more sometimes. Good or bad I won't argue about.

WC's are good strings. though. All I'm saying is that here are less expensive alternatives.

Let's just put it this way. Using your own prices would you concede that $60 is 2/3 of $90? Can we at least agree on that?

Quick Reply: New String

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.