Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

New String

Old 12-22-2008, 06:50 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: New String

ORIGINAL: BGfisher

Let's just put it this way. Using your own prices would you concede that $60 is 2/3 of $90? Can we at least agree on that?
No doubt, he is cheaper even though I found out today he has raised it again.

All I am saying, is a bunch of people are throwing out some BS stats. I shoot em all, and can't say I have killed anymore deer with any of em, so I don't have dog in this fight. All I ask for is for strings to shoot for me and stay consistent, and at least 75% of them do that (not zebra twist either).

Old 12-23-2008, 11:24 AM

I just put my Vapor Trail VTX on my bow yesterday. Shot it about 50-70 times yesterday and the peep twisted the first 3 shots but then it hasn't twisted since. Even today I took it out again and it was perfect for another 50 shots or so. Even though it has been going from 70 degrees in my house to 18 outside multiple times. I love it so far.
Old 12-23-2008, 04:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bcvd45

I just put my Vapor Trail VTX on my bow yesterday. Shot it about 50-70 times yesterday and the peep twisted the first 3 shots but then it hasn't twisted since. Even today I took it out again and it was perfect for another 50 shots or so. Even though it has been going from 70 degrees in my house to 18 outside multiple times. I love it so far.
And that, dear sir, is how well made strings are supposed to act.
Old 12-23-2008, 11:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'll stay with Rock Solid for all of my bows...perfect all the time
Old 12-24-2008, 09:07 AM

I'm new to the tuning part of hunting. But when you say new strings, is that just the string that you nock your arrow on? Or is it the other 2 strings that come down also and slide on your cable guard? Also, if i buy a Vapor Trail string/cables will a proshop put them on for me? I don't have a bow press.
Old 12-24-2008, 12:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: lmills34

I'm new to the tuning part of hunting. But when you say new strings, is that just the string that you nock your arrow on? Or is it the other 2 strings that come down also and slide on your cable guard? Also, if i buy a Vapor Trail string/cables will a proshop put them on for me? I don't have a bow press.
Some times all you need is the shooting string, but it's usually best to replace the cables and string together. Maybe a year or two down the road just replace the string itself.

Will a shoip put them on for you? Most certainly---for a cost. It won't be free, but a good shop will not only put them on but set the bow up for factory specs as well. They should also know to set the bow up about 1/8" to 1/4" short on the draw length because even good strings creep a bit when new so this should be taken into consideration.

On average your new strings should settle down after about 50 shots. I've personally had some that settled into the cam in as little as a half dozen shots and some that took 100. One of the best things to do when you put strings on your bow is to go ahead and take those 50 or so shots on a practice range before you install your peep (if you use one). Put the peep in afterwards.
Old 12-24-2008, 07:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

I put Vapor Trail strings on my BowTech Airborne 82nd in the summer, set cam rotation, cam timing, walk back tuned it, and sighted it in. Since then I have shot it continually. Logged over 300 hours in a Blind/Treestand in temps from 80 degrees to 24 below zero. I've hunted the dry plains of Nebraska in Oct., set in pouring rain in IL, and dealt with snow in 2 different states.

The peep is still aligned perfect, and Cam timing, & tune have not moved one bit.

I'm not sure what else you could ask of quality strings.

Dan
Old 12-30-2008, 07:14 AM

After all the replies, obviously (after market) strings/cables are pretty popular. But do bow shops have a cheap generic string that they usually put on? EXAMPLE: If i walk into a bow shop and ask them to put on a new string, do they have a stock string that's a lot cheaper? Or do they stock a certain brand of the after market strings?
Old 12-30-2008, 08:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

After all the replies, obviously (after market) strings/cables are pretty popular. But do bow shops have a cheap generic string that they usually put on? EXAMPLE: If i walk into a bow shop and ask them to put on a new string, do they have a stock string that's a lot cheaper? Or do they stock a certain brand of the after market strings?
Most shops stock some sort of generic string. Tailor Maid comes to mind. Prices for these can be as low as $10 for a string and roughly $18 for a set of cables for a dual cam and $9 for a single cable. My experience with them has been, well, less than stellar. Creep forever and servings have been loose---really loose.
Tailor Maid has a better string and it costs more, but I have no experience with them.

Most shops will also handle Zebras, too, but these are not a whole lot better except that they empty the wallet almost as much as a decent aftermarket set. Figure something like $32 to $35 for a string. I don't know about the cables as I don't think they are worth bothering with.

My best suggestion is to get a decent aftermarket set and pay to have them put on and set up. Although the initial oulay may be more you'l find that once they are broken in and the tuned it usually stays in tune till the strings are ready to be replaced. That is the major advantage I see to them.
Old 12-30-2008, 08:26 AM
bigcountry

What I notice is, most shops put on what they got. Length is the biggest limiting factor. I took an old PSE in to get strung several years ago. And they put on a Fastflight string and 8125 cables. Its what they had.

Quick Reply: New String

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.