View Single Post
Old 12-24-2008, 12:48 PM
BGfisher
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: New String

ORIGINAL: lmills34

ORIGINAL: BGfisher

ORIGINAL: bcvd45

I just put my Vapor Trail VTX on my bow yesterday. Shot it about 50-70 times yesterday and the peep twisted the first 3 shots but then it hasn't twisted since. Even today I took it out again and it was perfect for another 50 shots or so. Even though it has been going from 70 degrees in my house to 18 outside multiple times. I love it so far.

And that, dear sir, is how well made strings are supposed to act.
I'm new to the tuning part of hunting. But when you say new strings, is that just the string that you nock your arrow on? Or is it the other 2 strings that come down also and slide on your cable guard? Also, if i buy a Vapor Trail string/cables will a proshop put them on for me? I don't have a bow press.
Some times all you need is the shooting string, but it's usually best to replace the cables and string together. Maybe a year or two down the road just replace the string itself.

Will a shoip put them on for you? Most certainly---for a cost. It won't be free, but a good shop will not only put them on but set the bow up for factory specs as well. They should also know to set the bow up about 1/8" to 1/4" short on the draw length because even good strings creep a bit when new so this should be taken into consideration.

On average your new strings should settle down after about 50 shots. I've personally had some that settled into the cam in as little as a half dozen shots and some that took 100. One of the best things to do when you put strings on your bow is to go ahead and take those 50 or so shots on a practice range before you install your peep (if you use one). Put the peep in afterwards.