Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Single or Double caliper release ?? >

Single or Double caliper release ??

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Single or Double caliper release ??

Old 12-07-2008, 11:01 AM
Spike

Default Single or Double caliper release ??

I currently use a Scott Little Goose release and have no complaints but I am looking into a new bow for next year and was wondering if I should be using a double caliper release like the Scott Sabertooth ?

I shoot fine now but could I shoot better with a double caliper or would there be no difference ?
Old 12-07-2008, 01:12 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: Single or Double caliper release ??

I have both, and can't tell the difference. Only thing I have to have is a buckle release. This is a must.

Old 12-07-2008, 02:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Releases are very subjective. Scott makes a great release... but personally... I hate'em. Great quality and all... I can't shoot with them. WAY too touchy.

I like a double... reason being is all I have to do is release the trigger to close the jaws.... also... its a lot easier to shoot with gloves on.... but mostly because the slightly heavier trigger allows me to lay my whole finger on the trigger while I'm aiming.

I shoot a Tru-Fire Hurricane. Like big, I have to have a buckle... anyone hunting should too.... I also like one that is adjustable length wise becaues I have very short fingers and I like to shoot with the trigger in the middle/first joint on my finger.
Old 12-07-2008, 03:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: SwampCollie

Releases are very subjective. Scott makes a great release... but personally... I hate'em. Great quality and all... I can't shoot with them. WAY too touchy.

I like a double... reason being is all I have to do is release the trigger to close the jaws.... also... its a lot easier to shoot with gloves on.... but mostly because the slightly heavier trigger allows me to lay my whole finger on the trigger while I'm aiming.

I shoot a Tru-Fire Hurricane. Like big, I have to have a buckle... anyone hunting should too.... I also like one that is adjustable length wise becaues I have very short fingers and I like to shoot with the trigger in the middle/first joint on my finger.
for hunting situationsi agree with you about the touchiness of a release. Idk if i could shoot my little bitty goose with gloves on. But on the other hand, the iidea when releasing is to not have to try and release, b/c it will make you move. I lay my finger on the trigger and pull through using bt. I have tightened my trigger up before nad made it less sensitive but i couldnt not pull through nearly as well, making my releases less clean and fluid.

It seems like its really all about what makes you shoot the best. but to answer your question, no, the sabertooth will not shoot better than the little goose, although, you might be able to shoot better with the sabertooth.
Derek
Old 12-07-2008, 03:16 PM

I use a scott....and yes it is very touchy. I just put my middle finger behind it and hold it forward until im ready to shoot. Then i use my pointer finger to release. It works for me with gloves.
Old 12-07-2008, 04:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

I don't like a touchy trigger either but I highly prefer a single caliper over a double.
Old 12-07-2008, 05:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: drockw

But on the other hand, the iidea when releasing is to not have to try and release, b/c it will make you move. I lay my finger on the trigger and pull through using bt. I have tightened my trigger up before nad made it less sensitive but i couldnt not pull through nearly as well, making my releases less clean and fluid.

With you there all the way. I let my subconscious drive the shot. So I don't exactly release when my mind screams NOW... but I don't sit there all day just pulling either (because thats not how BT works really).

In my situation with a heavier trigger, the idea when releasing is doing so when you are actually ON TARGET. Let's just say I had a bad experience with a Tru-Ball Copperhead about two months ago.... frankly it was because the thing was too long and I couldn't reach it with my short cajun fingers. Suffice it to say that Axis arrows are very tough.... but a concrete floor is still tougher. And yes they do skip.
Old 12-07-2008, 07:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like a double as well, I don't know if all the Scott releases are like the two I tried, but they were almost TOO SMALL to fit around my wrist. I didn't mind the release as much as the damned things were TOO SMALL. I also shoot a Tru-Fire Hurricane, and a Tru-Ball Tornado w/ a buckle, both of which I think are equally good releases.
Old 12-07-2008, 08:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: OHbowhntr

I like a double as well, I don't know if all the Scott releases are like the two I tried, but they were almost TOO SMALL to fit around my wrist. I didn't mind the release as much as the damned things were TOO SMALL. I also shoot a Tru-Fire Hurricane, and a Tru-Ball Tornado w/ a buckle, both of which I think are equally good releases.

Too small,no such thing.[8D]

Here is my Short & Sweet II made by Tru ball.

Old 12-07-2008, 09:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: OHbowhntr

I cant believe the scotts are too small to fit around your wrist! Im HUGE and im in the 2nd loop from being bottomed out... It has stretched a tad over time but only one hole. Maybe i have skinny wrist lol!?!

SC, I agree with you about releasing being a subconcius thing. Regardless of what works best for you, as long as you dont have to think "SHOOT" your probably doing all right.
Derek

Quick Reply: Single or Double caliper release ??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.