Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

French Tuning

Old 12-04-2008, 05:50 PM
Fork Horn

Default French Tuning

Ok so I have tried some searches and was wondering if anyone has some good numbers as far as how far back I should stand from my target to sight in my 60 yard pin. I don't have a lot of room where I shoot so I want to get it close before I go to the range this weekend. I asked this kind of in a similar post but only got answers out to 50 yards. If anyone could give me some insight that would be awesome.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: French Tuning

Well.... I'd start at .... oh.... 60 yards.

Anything else is just a guess.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Az,

Here is the French Tuning article.

http://www.dudleyarchery.info/articles/usarcher1FT.pdf
Old 12-05-2008, 06:21 AM
Fork Horn

Thank You.
Old 12-05-2008, 06:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Call me crazy, but I think peep height also would play into effect, and in all honesty, I think a quick walkback and then some BH tuning is about as good as most of us "hunters" will ever need. I know that after BH tuning, I usually find I'm shooting FP's better as well.
Old 12-05-2008, 07:40 AM

Never trust anything designed by the French. LOL[8D]
Old 12-05-2008, 03:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

First, I'm strictly a "hunter" and not a target shooter. However, wouldn't you want to be as accurate and have the best tuned possible when shooting at live game? I think that a tuned bow is more important in hunting. There is no such thing as "quick tuning" when it comes to getting a bow ready to kill an animal. Hitting a pie plate doesn't work for me. I've been hunting deer long enough to know that there is no such thing as a guarantee or easy shot and why complicate matters with a bow that is not dead nutz on and then wonder what happened after the deer is maimed or missed.

I Frenched tuned my bow and never had the need for BH tuning. They both hit in the same place. Could this vary from bow to bow? Sure it could. However, my buddy was having issues with hos bow and I had him check his bow using French tuning. After he did so his bow was dead on with BH's. This tuning method works plan and simple and is faster than walk back,paper, or BH tuning. You immediately find out if your bow is off both vertically and horizontally.

PA,

I agree with you. However, the method wasn't developed by the French. lmao
Old 12-05-2008, 07:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: davepjr71

First, I'm strictly a "hunter" and not a target shooter. However, wouldn't you want to be as accurate and have the best tuned possible when shooting at live game? I think that a tuned bow is more important in hunting. There is no such thing as "quick tuning" when it comes to getting a bow ready to kill an animal. Hitting a pie plate doesn't work for me. I've been hunting deer long enough to know that there is no such thing as a guarantee or easy shot and why complicate matters with a bow that is not dead nutz on and then wonder what happened after the deer is maimed or missed.

I Frenched tuned my bow and never had the need for BH tuning. They both hit in the same place. Could this vary from bow to bow? Sure it could. However, my buddy was having issues with hos bow and I had him check his bow using French tuning. After he did so his bow was dead on with BH's. This tuning method works plan and simple and is faster than walk back,paper, or BH tuning. You immediately find out if your bow is off both vertically and horizontally.

PA,

I agree with you. However, the method wasn't developed by the French. lmao
Dave,
In all honesty, it IS a walkback tune. Just a 2 point walkback tune more or less. Shoot at one distance, then shoot at a longer distance, and adjust the rest. Even after I do my walkback, I still slap on BH's and tweak the bow to get the BH's to hit right with the FP's. And if I'm not within an 1-1.5" at 40yds w/ BH's vs. FP's, I'm not happy. I agree though, there isn't a "quick tune" when it comes to getting a bow ready, that's why we have so many Crossbow hunters in OHIO, because TUNING a bow is "too difficult."

If in the end we get to our goal, getting our bows to shoot straight, and hitting the target we aim at, then we've succeeded in our tuning goals as well. I shot my last deer from 38 yds hit him just a hair higher than intended, but a 5yd track job is good enough for me.
Old 12-07-2008, 03:50 PM

it seems you have tuning confused with sighting in.

french tuning is not for sighting in , it is for tuning your bow.
theres noother way to sightin your bow for 60yds

except shooting at 60 yds

but on the same note sighting your 60in at 3 yards might get you close.

ORIGINAL: AZHuntr

Ok so I have tried some searches and was wondering if anyone has some good numbers as far as how far back I should stand from my target to sight in my 60 yard pin. I don't have a lot of room where I shoot so I want to get it close before I go to the range this weekend. I asked this kind of in a similar post but only got answers out to 50 yards. If anyone could give me some insight that would be awesome.
Old 12-07-2008, 04:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

You can sight and tune using French Tuning. read the article. However, youdo have to shoot at 50 or 60 to fine tune.