Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

French tuning

Old 05-12-2007, 01:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default French tuning

I just put a QAD Ultra Hunter on my Allegiance and instead of paper tuning I decided to try French tuning. The method involves sighting in a pin at 3 yds and then moving out to the equivelent sight point at long range and adjusting the rest to hit the same point. For my current set-up that is 53 yds.

I sighted in dead on at 3 and then went to 53 yds. My group was high right so I adjusted the rest accordingly (You d ont adjust the sight at 53 yds just the rest). Went back to 3 yds and sighted in again then went back to 53 and adjusted the rest one last time until hitting center. This was the only adjustments I made to the set-up. Whole process took 20 minutes.

Today while at Autumn Sky I figured I'd ask them to shoot thru paper and paper tune if needed. First shot was a bullet hole and the guy there said he wouldn't touch a thing.

I usually try paper tuning first and find myself spending an hour or more trying to get it right and often not being able to do so and getting ticked. After today's results I'm only going to French tune from now on and would recommend people try it out if they have problems paper tuning a rig.

Old 05-12-2007, 01:57 PM

Default RE: French tuning

This is real interesting. Is there a chart somewhere that tells you that a certain bow setup is supposed to be right on at 53 yards when sighted in at 3 yards. Or a formulae? Thanks. Roskoe
Old 05-12-2007, 02:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

There's no formula. However, a program like OnTarget2 shows a trajectory curve and from that I can get where the 2 points are. I got the idea from an article by John Dudley on the method. He stopped paper tuning his bows a while ago and found that when shot thru paper had better holes than just trying to paper tune.

I can't attach the the file thru email. Here is the link I got the article from.

http://www.dudleyarchery.info/articles/usarcher1FT.pdf
Old 05-12-2007, 05:56 PM

Thanks. He doesn't mention anything about the impact point of field points being close to the hunting broadheads, though. I'm assuming Dudley is a serious target archer. Roskoe
Old 05-12-2007, 06:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

No, his article is just on tuning with field points. However, I would think that if you have the bow tuned that well when you use tuned broadheads the impact point should be the same.

Of interesting note. I paper tuned my the WB I had on before and got a good tear. However, when I shot my broadheads I was low and left at 20 yds.

So, I tried French Tuning and found that my rest was indeed off low and left even though with field tips I was dead on.

Therefore, I believe the relationship is the same. If your broadheads are tuned properlyyou will get the same miss as you would with French tuning.
Old 05-13-2007, 12:54 PM

Great information. Thanks for sharing. Roskoe