Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Buying some new arrows >

Buying some new arrows

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Buying some new arrows

Old 11-30-2008, 08:11 PM

Default Buying some new arrows

Well Iam going to buy some new arrows this weekend, so before I go out and spend my hard earned money I have a few questions about arrow selection. Sofirst I will mention my numbers. Iam shooting a 26" draw length and a 60lb draw weight. So with this what spineand what grain broad heads would you all reccomend? I was looking at some easton epic 400's but just wanted to know if that was best for my bow as far as how the arrow is spined. Well any help is appriciated and if any more info is needed I will gladely let you know.
Old 11-30-2008, 08:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Buying some new arrows

Take some time and tell us more specifics about the bow. You say your draw is 26". Is that you or the bow? You need to actually measure the draw length of the bow. Bow stickers and module numbers are not always accurate.

If the bow and you are indeed 26" then you migh be able to get away with a 25" arrow. In this case you could get something with a 500spine. That leaves you open to a lot of different shafts depending on whether you want to shoot a light arrow for speed or a little heavier for hunting, or anything in between if you want an all-purpose arrow.

Point weight (forget broadheads for now) can help determine the length of shaft you choose, but 100 grains seems to be the most common weight used. I mean that about broadheads. If you aren't planning on setting this up for hunting in the next few months then what broadheads you choose is the least of your worries.

Easton Epics can be OK, as would Beman ICS. Want something lighter there's the Easton Litespeed. Guess you're also looking at price, right. Epics or ICS. You should be looking for a 500 spine though.
Old 11-30-2008, 08:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

What bow are you shooting....Cam type, and what weight BH/FP are you planning to attach to the end of that arrow.

Old 12-01-2008, 08:15 AM

Iam shooting a Martin Saber with the m2 cams. I will probably keep with my 100 grain strikers. I did have Easton Epic 500's for last season but I seemed to have lost all but 2 of them and Iam not ready to drop that kind of money for the axis's.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Matt81390

Iam shooting a Martin Saber with the m2 cams. I will probably keep with my 100 grain strikers. I did have Easton Epic 500's for last season but I seemed to have lost all but 2 of them and Iam not ready to drop that kind of money for the axis's.
Who said anything about Axis? You want cheaper? Try Beman ICS Venture 500. Something like $50/doz at Lancaster. OK, not the highest quality on the bock, but it's your wallet you have to open. They'll work as well as anything else at this point.
Old 12-02-2008, 10:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

I set up a Martin Tracer 26.5" @ 60# for a buddy, and we went with a LONG 28" arrow, because it helped get the spine where it needed to be w/ a 100gr tip. You can look at GT 3555 series, or whatever else you find in a 500 series. The shorter you go, the weaker spine you need, if you go with something 25" long or so, you're gonna need a .550 spine to be "optimal," keep the arrow longer 27-28", and you can get away with a .500 spine, which is more common.
Old 12-03-2008, 07:54 AM

[quote]ORIGINAL: BGfisher

ORIGINAL: Matt81390

Who said anything about Axis? You want cheaper? Try Beman ICS Venture 500. Something like $50/doz at Lancaster. OK, not the highest quality on the bock, but it's your wallet you have to open. They'll work as well as anything else at this point.
I had meant to say axis and not epics. I liked the arrows alot however I didnt like the price tag that came with them. Anyway thanks for the help guys.