Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Buying Arrows...does it matter which type? >

Buying Arrows...does it matter which type?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Buying Arrows...does it matter which type?

Old 08-30-2006, 06:43 AM

Default Buying Arrows...does it matter which type?

Im a new hunter. I havent even shot my bow to practice yet because I need arrows.
One friends says i NEED carbon arrows because my whisker bisket is made for it. Another friends says it doesnt matter what arrows I use and I should just get aluminum.

Does it matter? Id rather get the less expensive...
Old 08-30-2006, 08:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Buying Arrows...does it matter which type?

I'd opt for the carbons. Do some homework first, though. There are carbon arrows that are entry level and cost about the same or even less than aluminum. The there are mid-level and upscale that can really whack the pocket book. It's your choice. The thing with carbon compared to aluminum is that you will rarely ever bend one. They are just more durable than aluminum in that respect. They also fit a much broader weight range than aluminum in that if you turn the bow up 5# they should still work where as with aluminum you will probably have to get a stiffer spine.

Aluminum usually has tighter tolerances than cheap carbons, but if you get cheap ones they won't stay that way. They can bend more easily and dent if shooting groups. Usually heavier (but not always) than carbon.

I've been shooting carbons since their infancy. Shot aluminum long before that. My arrow of choice is some sort of carbon whether it be an ACC type or all carbon.

I cn't remember the last time I lost one, but a pick a dozen and they last me as long as ten years. I change during that time because they just keep improving the tolerances as time goes by. It's a very competitive industry.

Suggest you get on several websites and check out the different brands and models Gold Tip has their Expeditions for entry level. Easton has several models, as does Carbon Express. These seem to be the most popular.

List your bow weight, draw length, length of arrow you intend to shoot and I'll recommend a particular arrow. You need to get the spine right whatever you choose.

As for the rest, the Whisker Bisquit has several different size inserts for different diameter arrows. Should you want to use a large diameter aluminum all you have to do is get the appropraite insert.
Old 08-30-2006, 09:05 PM

I shoot super carbon magnums 55-70. They are great arrows and I have never had a problem with one.Three models of Super Carbon arrows are available. The Super Carbon Supremehas.001 straightness (Straightest of the 3).The Super Carbon Magnum has .003 straightness andthe Super Carbon Hunter offers .006 straightness. All of the arrows are availible in these3 diffrent sizes:45/60, 55/70 and 60/75. It is a great arrow especially for the price
Old 08-31-2006, 04:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

i'm a late stage newbie, so i was where you were last summer. carbons, my friend. until you get comfortable, and get your form consistent, you're gonna miss the target. if you're like me, you'll miss it ALOT, at first. that means alot of bent and unusable aluminums. carbons may be more expensive to start, but they take more abuse. good ones are worth the investment.
Old 08-31-2006, 04:35 AM

YES!!!!!!!!
carbons are the way to go!! As an archery Instructor/hunter
I would recommend the Gold Tip series or If your pocket is talking go with
the carbon express maximas, These arrows will take more abuse than you can give them! and still be hunt ready!!!

Hope this helps

BE THE ARROW!!!!!!!
Old 08-31-2006, 08:01 AM

I would suggest carbons as well. Just make sure you get the CORRECT arrow for your set-up (draw #, draw length, etc...) When you have the correct arrow , shooting will be more fun. You will be able to spend more time shooting amd less time fighting the tune.

Blessings
Old 08-31-2006, 08:13 AM

I use the Cabela's carbon force!! The are a cheap arrow!! But work great.
Old 08-31-2006, 08:13 AM

I use the Cabela's carbon force!! The are a cheap arrow!! But work great.
Old 08-31-2006, 08:14 AM

I use the Cabela's Carbon Force you can get 12 for about 50 bucks!!! Thay work for me!!
Old 08-31-2006, 08:14 AM

I use the Cabela's Carbon Force you can get 12 for about 50 bucks!!! Thay work for me!!