Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

broadhead's??

Old 10-22-2008, 12:21 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: broadhead's??

With a 40LB bow,snuffers or other cut on impact fixed head, no conical point heads though. Snuffers will fly great at that speed. Make sure to keep em sharp though. I'd go withan aluminum arrow too as you can't afford to leave kinetic energy on the table at that draw weight. You'll probably be getting about 170 to 180 feet per second at that's plenty of power to kill up to approximately15 yards away, any further is going to be hit and miss.
Old 10-22-2008, 09:38 PM
Fork Horn

well my bow shoot's at 265fps with my current carbon setup. i can shoot accurately at 300yd's within a 4 inch area. and i bought some razorcaps just like the snuffers. i talked to the guy the shop he told me to keep my current easton e-tec 500 arrows. he re-fletched them and i got 3 new one's. so i am set for the rest of the season hopefully.
Old 10-23-2008, 06:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm sure you'll have good luck with the razorcaps as I've tested/hunted with em and they did an outstanding job. They're my personal favorite in fixed heads right now. The other posters are correct that the old 2 blade cut on contact will penetrate best but the razorcaps should be right up there or close to em. The reason I say should is because I've never conducted tests with that lowof poundage bow. I do know they work great out of my 63# switchback xt. I never realized you could get that much speed from that low poundage. I have to agree that when you go lighter to gain more speed,you lose kinetic energy and that means less penetration.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:06 AM

well it'll do a lot of damage to a target at 30yd's!!! more than my fathers old 70# bow that's 20yr's old.good luck out there trailrider894
Old 10-23-2008, 11:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: trailrider894

so i'm wondering people think of muzzys?? i'm thinking a lighter grain on maybe less than 100gr. i'm shoot a 40 draw weight bow. i have easton carbon e-tec arrows.

well my bow shoot's at 265fps with my current carbon setup. i can shoot accurately at 300yd's within a 4 inch area. and i bought some razorcaps just like the snuffers. i talked to the guy the shop he told me to keep my current easton e-tec 500 arrows. he re-fletched them and i got 3 new one's. so i am set for the rest of the season hopefully.
and

i'm shoot a hoyt banshee with a 29inch draw lenght and it is maxed out.
Now wait a minute, You say you're looking for BH's for a 40# bow, then come back with your bow shoots 265fps???? Sorry, not gonna happen...
Let's give you a little background here, A HOYT BANSHEE is a KIDS BOW, rated for 255fps, which is pretty good, but that's the IBO rating, and the's 5 grains/pound, and a 30" DL, but the BANSHEE I know of only goes to 26" DL. Which leads me to believe someone may not be being totally honest here. 265 fps ain't gonna happen out of that bow, no matter what you do, so let's get real, then we can make some realistic ideas and get some realistic advice. I'll give you some realistic advice, those RAZORCAPS are bigger than you ought to be looking at, you should be looking at a Magnus Stinger 2 blade type BH, SMALL diameter, and as was said before, you'll likely be getting 170fps or so, which means that a kill shot is only gonna be likely at close range, 20yds. MAXIMUM!!! And in ALL HONESTY, having UNDER 20ft/#'s of KE anyway I can slice it, that's not a bow that should really even be in the woods.

Not trying to bust your chops, but if you want good, HONEST, sound advice, you need to be HONEST and we may be able to help you.
Old 10-23-2008, 12:29 PM
Fork Horn

k well i was told that since my bow was the cam 1/2 version ( a specialized version of the bow) that it would come back to 29 inch draw length. also the bow says it is rated at 40# back that is with a full turn backed out. turn it in it is pulling 43-44 at the 3 inches to the draw there you have a faster better bow. i'm not stupid. i heard this from more than one professionly trained guy at hoyt specializing bow shop's!!! so don't tell me that i'm not telling the truth for i know my bow!! and it will easily kill a deer. do i need a better bow yes!! do i have the money no. i'm on a tight budget! i can't go spending 400 or 500 dollars on some hoyt.
Old 10-23-2008, 12:45 PM
Spike

What?
Old 10-23-2008, 07:36 PM
Fork Horn

well your prolly right it probably is shoot about 200fps. but i can't make 15yd shot's anyway where i'm hunting. so it doesn't really matter.
Old 10-23-2008, 08:40 PM
Fork Horn

slick tricks or muzzy mx-4 100 grain both really good.