Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 arrow wizzards question >

arrow wizzards question

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

arrow wizzards question

Old 10-20-2008, 10:29 AM
Typical Buck

Default arrow wizzards question

ok, here' s a question for all you arrow wizzards, before I star building my Vegas arrows.
it might be strange but I want to shoot 18m Vegas rounds with my G5 optix ME sight.
It's sighted in at 18 yards and shoots perfect with my FMJ'S .
The arrows set up is 400 spine with 125gr bulletpoints at 28 1/2"

I am missing some points to beat the top shooters in our team so I'm going with EastonX7 alu arrows with 100gr tips.

Question; if I keep the total weight of both arrows the same, will the point of impact all so be the same ( more or less ) ???

any input on the subject would be appreciated.

Frank

Old 10-20-2008, 11:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: arrow wizzards question

Frank.

In theory they should but in practice they wont simple because of the difference in arrow diameter.

You will have to retune the bow for the larger diameter arrow.
Old 10-20-2008, 12:04 PM
Typical Buck

and if I don't want to retune the bow or the change the sight's pins ?

I got my bow set up perfect with those FMJ's shooting groups at any range up to 40 yards....I just want to get those extra few points the other shooters gain with those drainpipes they shoot[:'(]

F.
Old 10-20-2008, 01:32 PM

Problem is that the larger diameter arrows sit higher on the rest. Solution is to change out the sight so that you have one for each arrow. It's a simple solution if you have a dovetailed sight, more complicated if it's direct mount unless you've got the new modular SureLoc QC2 and a second module.
Old 10-20-2008, 02:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: KodiakArcher

Problem is that the larger diameter arrows sit higher on the rest. Solution is to change out the sight so that you have one for each arrow. It's a simple solution if you have a dovetailed sight, more complicated if it's direct mount unless you've got the new modular SureLoc QC2 and a second module.

But even then the nocking point is going to be too low for the larger shaft.

Frank.

This is why most serious target guys have 2 different set ups one for target and the other for hunting.
Old 10-21-2008, 11:07 AM
Typical Buck

so it comes down to economics again. I just sold my tomkat because I was scared to turn into a target shooter. And I couldn't stand to see it hang on the wall.
The guy I sold it to shoots around 15 points more as an average, every shot he takes makes me miss that bow, but sold is sold.
I am going to make the X7's a little bit heavier to make up for the higher nocking point and see what happens.
I have a second sight but then I could buy a target sight with a scope.
I need to keep repeating to myself that I want to go hunting !!!

F.
Old 10-21-2008, 11:45 AM

Making them heavier isn't going to make up for the fact that they're coming off nock low, which is just what you DON'T want. You can get away with quite a bit of nock high on a target rig but nock low isn't good. I think you're going to be better off sticking with what you have and improving your form and technique than you are going to be throwing expensive band-aids at the problem. Save the money from new arrows and sights and bows and spend it on a good coach, if you can find one.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:46 PM

I get away with a little bit of this on my Hoyt Vectrix XL. Normal arrow is the Axis FMJ. I have some old CE Terminators that weigh about 505 grains and are about .310 diameter.Very tough arrow - good for stump shooting.

It seems like the combination of the extra weight and the slightly higher position (1/32") on the arrow rest balances out to where the fatter heavier arrow hits the same as the slim FMJ at 20 to 25 yards. Past that, though, the Terminator starts dropping off - but not real bad. About 4" low at 60 yards. And accuracy isvery good. You probably wouldn't want to try this with a Whisker Biscuit, but the QAD Ultra drop away seems to handle it fine.
Old 10-22-2008, 01:39 PM
Typical Buck

Rob, I'm currently coaching the younger target shooters, so they'd stop strangling their bows and stop locking their elbows. The older guys don't want to have a bowhunter telling them what they are doing wrong.
The reason why I am thinking of trying the X7s is because I shot one out of my bow and it hit exactly where my FMJ's were hitting. Only thing is that I don't have that same arrow to copy. So I'll have to try myself with different set-ups.

Yesterday I beat the top 3 shooters at 25m and busted 3 arrows doing so...
this makes a lot of friends and a lot of enemies as well............

F.