Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Arrow Question

Old 03-11-2007, 08:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Arrow Question

I'm currently shooting Easton St Epic . .400 arrows with a 100 grain tip and 4 in vanes. My draw length is 29in and my draw weight is maxed at supposedly 70 lbs. These are the arrows my Pro Shop sold me with the bow when my draw weight was set at 65 lbs.
What I'm wondering is if this is really the arrow I want to use or even if it's suitable for a hunting arrow. Suitability for hunting, care of my bow being my chief concern. Would like to maybe try other arrows, any suggestions?
Old 03-12-2007, 09:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Arrow Question

I'm afraid your underspined with your Epic's 400's . I would recommend the 340's for your draw length and weight . I Shoot the 400's with a 27" draw and 60# draw weight ,and that's perfect.

nubo
Old 03-12-2007, 12:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

I would recommend the 340's for your draw length and weight
Yep.
Old 03-12-2007, 01:44 PM

You can't calculate spine with supposedly or might be or I think it is.

You need to measure your peak draw weight, have someone do it that knows how, it's a bit tricky. And you need to measure your AMO draw length and know what length shaft you are using.

You can't guess at these, you need to know what the actually are.

Paul
Old 03-12-2007, 02:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

I do need to see exactly what my draw weight is. It's a 60-70 lb bow and I have it maxed out . . .I understand that it could max out a bit more. Arrow length . . .I'm measuring that from the tip of a tipless shaft to the inside bottom of the nock where it will butt the string and it's 28 5/8".
Guys I appreciate the responces and I will seriously study your suggestions. I need to check out more than just the one pro shop that I have been going to. I asked the tech at the shop "Why am I using these arrows?" his answer was "because thats what your supposed to use and what I use on my bow thats just like yours".[>:] He had a customer there potentially buying a bow and I know he just did'nt want to take the time.
I sure hope I hav'nt compromised the integrity of my bow shooting an underspined arrow. I notice it's not as quiet as when I first purchased it and I know that I don't have any loose attachments on it.[&:]
At any rate I won't be shooting it until I'm satisfied that I have the right arrows for it.
Old 03-12-2007, 05:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

Don't get us wrong ,you can shoot the 400's just fine ,it's just that I think the 340's would be the correct spine you need . Go to www.eastonarchery.com and check for yourself , and I'm sure you'll see your better siuted for the 340's .

nubo
Old 03-12-2007, 05:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Nubo, I see what you mean. The 340's are definatley reccomended for my bow @ 70lbs. I see that there are however different gpi on the different arrow types. The arrow I am now presently shooting is 8.7 gpi. I'm using a 28.5" shaft so that gives me a 347.95 grain arrow with the tip? I'm supposing that my draw weight is 72lbs with a 29"draw length. So, I should be shooting no less than 360g if that is the case?
So, if I go with some of the 340's that are 9.5gpi then I will be somewhere around 370.75 with the tip.
If I remember correctly some of the 340's were 10.5 gpi., which would give me an arrow of about 400g. So I'm wondering whether to go with the 9.5gpi or go heavier. I may buy 3 of each and see how it goes.

Old 03-12-2007, 07:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shot the regular axis arrows last year. i was shooting the 400 for a 27inch arrow and 70lbs, not sure what the epics spines are like compared to the axis shafts.
Old 03-13-2007, 07:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good advice by the guys. One thing I would like to bring up is your comment about the bow making more noise. This could be because of a couple things. #1, you're shooting the same arrow at a higher weight. The bow is producing more energy, but the arrow can only absorb so much of it. A higher percentage of the the vibration is being retained by the bow, thus more noise. #2, the rigging (string and cables) may have crept (elongated). In this case the cams may be slightly over rotated. The weight and draw length may be greater than when new. This can lead to more noise.

You need to get the bow checked for it's proper specs (brace height, A2A, and weight). Adjust as necessary and this should help. And know what these measurements are and check them periodically.

And lastly, just as suggested, move to a stiffer arrow. If ya don't want to spend the money then turn the bow down to about 65#. That's enough to kill anything on this continent anyway.
Old 03-13-2007, 02:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks for all of the replies. I do really appreciate all of the advice. I went today and bought some Epic 340's. This time I also tried the Blazer vanes. First thing I did when I got home was to give them a try. Man, this bow is quieter than it's ever been . . . .absolutly no noise I could detect other than the thump when the arrow hit the target. Also my groups were way tighter . . . .I should have maybe waited on the Blazers because I don't know what to contribute the tighter groups to exactly. At any rate, I'm sincerely grateful for the advise. . . . .Uh . . .I won't really call the owner of the shop close to home a "tech" anymore, but he is really a great guy and owned up to the fact that he should have put me on the 340's to start with . . .and gave me a deal on some purchases. I'll continue to support his store but will find someone else to do any tech services I may require in the future. As a matter of fact I will be taking a little trip soon to visit another that has been reccomended to me by several folks.
Thanks again!!!

Quick Reply: Arrow Question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.