Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Well..... i give up....UPDATE with ?????S >

Well..... i give up....UPDATE with ?????S

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Well..... i give up....UPDATE with ?????S

Old 10-09-2008, 05:19 PM
Spike

Default Well..... i give up....UPDATE with ?????S

i got my arrow squared up at gander mountain and tried to do a few different things...messing with my rest a little and adjusting the weight. I got my broadheads alot closer than they were before but still not as good as i would like so i gave up. Then a friend pointed me to a good smaller shop that i've heard alot of good things about. So tomorrow i will be taking a 45 minute trip to this shop and get things taken care of the right way.

I know i know...i am no bowtech...but i figured i couldnt make it any worse than it already was.
Old 10-10-2008, 06:32 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Well..... i give up

they ain't bow "techs" either. probably half your problem. go to that shop if you're not sure what you're doing. shoot through some paper if you can, see what the arrows are doing, tune for a reasonable tear, then walk-it-back man. of course your cam timing, tiller and such need to be set properly too, so have the shop look at that while your there.

ORIGINAL: joker80p

i got my arrow squared up at gander mountain
Old 10-10-2008, 07:10 AM

ORIGINAL: Mikey S.

they ain't bow "techs" either. probably half your problem. go to that shop if you're not sure what you're doing. shoot through some paper if you can, see what the arrows are doing, tune for a reasonable tear, then walk-it-back man. of course your cam timing, tiller and such need to be set properly too, so have the shop look at that while your there.

ORIGINAL: joker80p

i got my arrow squared up at gander mountain
x2 Take it to a real shop. They will probably have you up and running real quick.
Old 10-10-2008, 09:12 AM
Spike

I sure hope so...i really dont have much time. Bow season opens on the 18th here. The shop im going to today is really where i wanted to go to begin with. I've had many many people telling me to go there but im rarely over were it is located and his hours only from 5-7 pm, however i pulled some strings and he is going to come in a little earlier today so im going to get over there and take care of things the right now.

Even though i cant shoot my broadheads that great right now i've still be practicing like crazy with my field points and i have actually learned some things about my form and changed some things that have made me a much better shot. Before i was shooting with my hand closed around the bow and shooting with my left eye closed. I would shoot really good at 20 yards as small as 2 inch groups 4 arrows. I changed to shooting open hand and both eyes open and was consistantly shooting 4 arrows touching each other at 20 yards.
Old 10-11-2008, 05:33 PM
Spike

Well i brought my bow into the shop...it was way way out of tune. I watched him check over the cam timing which was off..level up the arrow and straighten out the rest. Then he took me to to indoor range and asked that i shoot a few times. My arrow flies excellent. He next wondered if some of the problem was me and my form so he asked that i shoot at one target for a group. He watched my form while i shot and was consistently hitting my arrows..all touching. The only other advice he gave was that i try using o rings to align my muzzy 3 blades with the vanes and but thought that i would still have a problem. He says that he is on a first name basis with the folks at muzzy but it is not uncommon to have issues with flight. He suggested if i still had a problem i try to switch broadheads until i find something my bow likes.

So i shot today and the bow feels alot better but i still have issues. He asked that i shoot odd vane to the left (im right handed). With the arrow positioned like that i was hitting low left. When i switched back to odd vane up i was shooting in line with my field points but still lowhowever, that wasonly at 20 yards, any further and the next broadhead would be way left.

After taking a closer look at my arrows also...when i had asked for blazers i had gotten 3 inch vanes and some of them the odd vane is about 1/4 of an inch closer to the nock than the other 2 vanes. Also some of them seem straighter than the others. what do you suggest i do next
Old 10-11-2008, 07:46 PM

I assume you're trying to get BHs to group with your field points? That said, your 20yd groups sound pretty good? How do the broadhead equipped arrows group? If the latter is as good as the former...just adjust your sights and go hunting, given that the season is around the corner? As far as the two (BH&FP) hitting together....it could be form, you could be having vane contact issues...and/or could be your centershot. A walk back tune might help with the latter. Regardless of bow tune, your BH equipped arrows must also be tuned and spin true. BTW aligning blades with vanes is a myth - that'll have zip to do with it. Good luck.
Old 10-12-2008, 09:18 AM
Typical Buck

What rest do you have ? Did you mention it? I can't remember.....sorry.

And if your arrows aren't fletched consistently the same from one to the other, they are not going to group consistently.
Old 10-12-2008, 09:23 AM
Spike

im shooting a wb rest. older one though i believe there isnt adjustment for moving it up and down, Only left and right.
Old 10-12-2008, 02:23 PM
Typical Buck

Odd vane up would seem to be the best way to shoot that rest.