Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Fletching Jig Info... >

Fletching Jig Info...

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Fletching Jig Info...

Old 10-03-2008, 12:24 PM

Default Fletching Jig Info...

Hi guys,

I would like to ask about some good fletching jigs out there. Basicaly I need to cover 2 categories.
1. Best single and multi fletching jig (no $ limit)
2. Reasonable quality for good price jig (single only)

Also, would you please post your jigs and experience with them? Thanks...
Old 10-03-2008, 12:39 PM

Default RE: Fletching Jig Info...

I would just get the Blitzenburger and not look back. The best archery shop I know has about two dozen Blitz's mounted on a big round table. They just turn the table and, when one full rotation is reached, turn each shaft to the next position. The quality sacrifice from the multi fletchers just isn't worth the small gain in speed, IMO.
Old 10-03-2008, 04:00 PM

Bitzenburger is generally regarded as the best fletching jig on the planet. I have one, and wouldn't disagree. However, I have a friend who's an expert archer (multiple 3D awards) who swears by the Arizona EZ Fletch (2 degree offset, I think, with the Blazer vanes). He says the AEF works better with the Blazer and Predator vanes. I have a Bitzenburger (Right helical) which I use for feathers and 4 inch vanes. I have an AEF on order for use with the Blazers. Hell...as much money as I've already spent on my setups, the cost of a couple fletching jigs is barely even noticed any more. Most archery shops use Bitzenburgers (in multiples, as described above), but there's one in my area which uses AEFs. The downside to the Bitz is that it's bulky, comparatively slow, and expensive, but does a helluva job fletching arrows, once you get it adjusted properly (and that can be a real PITA with the small diameter arrows using helical). With the AEF, it's fast, less epensive, and you can throw it in your bag to take to the hunting camp for emergency repairs if you want. Plus, there are newer models which work well for carbon arrows and Blazer vanes, which seem to be what most archers are using nowadays. I think either one will do you well. I don't have any experience with the others, although a co-worker bought 6 or 5 arrow Jo-Jan jig...it wasn't nearly as precise as the Bitz. Ho

Hope this helped any,
Joe
Old 10-03-2008, 04:38 PM

Thanks so far guys.

The main idea of my request is more or less an arrow crafters issue.
To explain, I got a round table 24 Spigarelli right helical where I do most arrows. I also got some Cartel right offset and straight (3+3). Yet lately "many" people asked for left helical or offset fletching[:@]... Somehow this "many" means a relative number of customers which I would like to keep as long as possible.
I got a good experience with Blitz, thats undeniable and your posts show no else... Yet for the relatively small work load I would like to have an option which I can throw in a dark, sheltered corner of my workshop once the job is done without regreting to have ever spent money on it. Just checked the AEF, will get one to test.
Also, this lack of fletching jig universality makes me crazy. I could imagine a fletching jig which would be flexible enough to offer all 5 basic setups. Even if it would cost 100$ you wouldn't need anything else to do what ever fletching you want... PFT, lets just not speak about copper in fletching stone age.

If you guys find an universal jig with Blitz quality just let me know.
Old 10-03-2008, 04:55 PM

Just a fun add.

Seems like i still got some IT deformation from my past... Using Blitzburger instead of Bitzburger, sily.
Blitzburger is a PC game freak, basicaly the best player. At least they got both something in common.
Old 10-06-2008, 06:48 AM

Yet for the relatively small work load I would like to have an option which I can throw in a dark, sheltered corner of my workshop once the job is done without regreting to have ever spent money on it. Just checked the AEF, will get one to test. Also, this lack of fletching jig universality makes me crazy. I could imagine a fletching jig which would be flexible enough to offer all 5 basic setups. Even if it would cost 100$ you wouldn't need anything else to do what ever fletching you want... PFT, lets just not speak about copper in fletching stone age
I agree with what said. I have the Blitzenburger jig because several years ago al the forums ranted and raved about how great the jig was. Seems that it is still touted as the best. When I used aluminum arrows, the tool was the cats ass! But ever since going to carbon arrows, I can never quite get the thing to adjust correctly for a proper offset. I have to either fletch perfectly straight or with ever-so-slight offset. Anything more, and I do not get great contact when I go to press the fletch onto the shaft. There always seems to be one small part of the fletch that doesn't want to seat properly. I too long for a jig that comes with more flexability.

Many years ago I used to build model rockets. When gluing the fins onto the rocket, the trick was the kit would supply you with a 120 degree template. You would place a small pencil mark on the rocket body. Then, all you did was stick the rocket body into a doorway, line up the mark, then draw a line on the body using the straight line of the doorway stop. You're left with three straight lines at 120 degree from which you align and glue on the fins. While this sounds like more work than a jig, I think using a technique like this might be more fun. You'd have to be really careful about place the fletch on the shaft by hand though.

Old 10-06-2008, 12:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a Bitz jig, have fletched 1000's arrows on them, and they are the best out there. Buy the extra clamps and you are set for anything you want to do. I've done everything from the biggest aluminums (2514s) to the small carbons (my FMJs) and have had no trouble with any of them. All metal construction so nothing to break or wear out. Also, any plastic jig is going to have some flexibility to it, which creates inconsistency in your fletching from arrow to arrow. Buy a bitz and be done with it!
Old 10-06-2008, 08:37 PM

Love my Bitz, but I got my Arizona EZ Fletch Carbon Rt. Helical in today. Using Goat Tuff and Steel Bond Glues with Blazer vanes. Quick, accurate, tough, and a perfect fletching job. Did a dozen shafts in about an hour. Quick and easy.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MJL927

Yet for the relatively small work load I would like to have an option which I can throw in a dark, sheltered corner of my workshop once the job is done without regreting to have ever spent money on it. Just checked the AEF, will get one to test. Also, this lack of fletching jig universality makes me crazy. I could imagine a fletching jig which would be flexible enough to offer all 5 basic setups. Even if it would cost 100$ you wouldn't need anything else to do what ever fletching you want... PFT, lets just not speak about copper in fletching stone age
I agree with what said. I have the Blitzenburger jig because several years ago al the forums ranted and raved about how great the jig was. Seems that it is still touted as the best. When I used aluminum arrows, the tool was the cats ass! But ever since going to carbon arrows, I can never quite get the thing to adjust correctly for a proper offset. I have to either fletch perfectly straight or with ever-so-slight offset. Anything more, and I do not get great contact when I go to press the fletch onto the shaft. There always seems to be one small part of the fletch that doesn't want to seat properly. I too long for a jig that comes with more flexability.

Many years ago I used to build model rockets. When gluing the fins onto the rocket, the trick was the kit would supply you with a 120 degree template. You would place a small pencil mark on the rocket body. Then, all you did was stick the rocket body into a doorway, line up the mark, then draw a line on the body using the straight line of the doorway stop. You're left with three straight lines at 120 degree from which you align and glue on the fins. While this sounds like more work than a jig, I think using a technique like this might be more fun. You'd have to be really careful about place the fletch on the shaft by hand though.
The only thing I would question here is what size aluminum shafts had you been using? I've had my Bitz for well over 30 years, and went through the aluminum arrow thing.Fletched anything from 1614 up to 2312 diameters with no problems. There is nothing magical about aluminum or carbon when it comes to size. Most commonly used carbons are just a 19/64" shaft or very close to it. Then there are the bigger fat shafts, but most people talk about the common variety (19/64"). True, you have to use less offset or helical offset with smaller shafts, but helical is helical.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:19 AM
Typical Buck

Ive got a bohning I think??? same basic design as bitzenburger...but made of a heavy plastic material....been using it for about 5 or 6 years and love it