Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Site Question

Old 10-06-2008, 07:57 AM
Typical Buck

Default Site Question

I see some bows set up with an extended style site. What is the advantage of having this.....

As compared to having this....

I would think having something extended out that far is just asking to get caught on tree limbs, weeds and such. But I figure there is a good reason for it.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Site Question

The further the sight is out the more accurate it is.
Consider a rifle with open sights and a hand gun.

As far as getting caught up in grass or limbs I have not had that happen in the 6 years I have been using a Hogg-it on my hunting bow.
Old 10-06-2008, 12:08 PM

Hmmm... This makes me think also about optics (physical principles not scopes)

Basicaly, the human eye got a certain tolerance for near/far sight (somehow related to a photo lens). To aim with a sight closer to the target is better for your focus so you may feel like it's somehow sharper or clearer. Tho i don't realy know how much diference this will do on anyone with draw >28" it certainly helps short drawers. Still, keep in mind, there is no good or wrong here as all this things depend on your own feel and confortability. The tradeoff could be more critical as your "shaky" aim becomes "shakier"...

All that said, I suppose try/error procedure will get you the idea.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Longer is more accurate, its just psychics. look at 98% of the pros sights. they are extended sights of some kind almost all of the time.
Old 10-07-2008, 05:53 AM
Typical Buck

Hmmm... I can see how it would be more accurate. But I think I have another year of solid shooting before I should even consider one because I dont think I have the most steady hand just yet. For the site I am using now it seems fine but if I extend out further, like mentioned, my movement will be magnified.

ORIGINAL: drockw

Longer is more accurate, its just psychics. look at 98% of the pros sights. they are extended sights of some kind almost all of the time.
How so?
Old 10-07-2008, 04:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Your plane of sight. from your peep to the end of your sight pin to the target. i wish i could draw it on here but basically its the same concept as a longer stabilizer. the equilibrium of the balance between eye and sight and sight and target are the factors. so, eye/peep-sightpin-target. the sight pin is the median, but it is offset on your to your eye side. the closer you get the pin to the target, or further away from your eye, the more fine your accuracy will be, b/c of your perception of the pin. hence your shooting "should" become/be with an extended sight. but everyone hasa different preference as well with their extensions so it is debatable to how far is perfect.

its hard for me to explain on here without using an equation, so if anyone can simplify this please do. and correctme if im wrong PLEASEbut i think i have a good ideal going here. but im sure my theory can and will be debated so...
Derek