Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Can it be too Stiff? >

Can it be too Stiff?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Can it be too Stiff?

Old 03-16-2003, 07:12 AM

Default Can it be too Stiff?

I understand what an underspined arrow does coming from the bow and know that' s not good. What are the cons of and overly stiff arrow?? I can' t see anything obvious.

I wonder...does stiffer=heavier?? If that' s the case I can see why you' d want to have a balance...other than that why not just get the stiffest out there and not worry about being under?? Am I restared??
Old 03-16-2003, 07:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Can it be too Stiff?

If you shoot a release, which I guess 99.999% of all compound shooters do these days, you can get good arrow flight and reasonable accuracy with an arrow that' s way overspined. It just won' t be as consistently accurate or forgiving as the correct spine arrow would be.

With carbon arrows, they add wraps of material to make stiffer spine arrows, so stiffer does equal heavier. With aluminums, they can vary the diameter of the shaft and the wall thickness to make a stiff arrow that' s light. But light aluminum arrows is the reason carbons have gotten their overblown reputation for durability. Those thin walled arrows dent, ding and bend way too easy for my tastes.

If you shoot fingers, having the correct spine is critical.