Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Looking for a Starter Bow >

Looking for a Starter Bow

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Looking for a Starter Bow

Old 09-06-2008, 07:04 PM

Default Looking for a Starter Bow

I shot archery as a kid and now I want to get back into it. I am looking for a decent beginner bow and looking to spend less than $200. I figure I will have to go with a used bow to get one in this price range. I want a bow that isn't too old and if something breaks and has to be replaced that the parts are easily available. Also, I think I need a draw length of either 30" or 31" but I'm not sure exactly. I know that a 29" draw length is too short for me.

Ok, here are the three bows that I am looking at. I don't know anything about them or how old they are. If someone could help me make a decision I would really appreciate it.

Bow #1
PSE Triton
S/N 1297863
29" / 50#
$249

Bow #2
Bear Buckmaster
S/N 2007359
29" / 70#
$149

Bow #3
Parker BuckHunter
S/N 815-5583
29" / 60#
$175

I know the draw length can be adjusted but I don't know how much. Can all of these be adjusted to a 30" or 31" draw length?

Are these bow models fairly current or are they pretty old?

Which bow would be the best bang for the buck?

Thanks!
Jeremy
Old 09-08-2008, 09:20 AM

Default RE: Looking for a Starter Bow

I think Parker is one of the best companies around. They make very nice products and have top notch customer service. I've been shooting my Buckhunter for a few years and haven't had a single problem with it. It really is a decent bow the money IMO.
Old 09-08-2008, 11:42 AM

Of the three you listed, I like the Bear/Jennings Buckmaster....IF...It is the model with the recurve limbs. If not I would go with the Parker as Austin/Wi has mentioned they are are a great company and stand behind their product well.

I shot a Jennings Buckmaster for years. I bought it for a back-up to my Hoyts and actually started carrying it more often. It was lighter and shot great. After a few years I went back to my Hoyts and gave it away.Itis still going strong. The grip didn't fit me just right so I took a belt sander to it. I like a thin grip. IF it is the same model, the draw stop on the cam worked great. It was one of the first to use such an option. You can fine tune the draw to EXACTLY where you need it. It was smooth, quiet and forgiving. If the buckmaster is one of the cheap plastic grip, straight limb models it is still a decent bow, put dollar for dollar, I would have to say go with the Parker.

I am not familiar with the PSE Triton....I recall the name but can't picture it.
Old 09-08-2008, 01:14 PM

Well, after calling the companies here is what I found out:

PSE Triton was made in 2004 and they no longer make replacement parts for it.

Bear Buckmaster was produced between 1999 and 2001 and they no longer make parts for it.

Parker was made in 2005 and they still make replacement parts for it.

I think that just based on the fact that the first two no longer have replacement parts available I am going to go with the Parker.

Thanks!
Jeremy
Old 09-08-2008, 02:53 PM

ORIGINAL: jkruer01

Well, after calling the companies here is what I found out:

PSE Triton was made in 2004 and they no longer make replacement parts for it.

Bear Buckmaster was produced between 1999 and 2001 and they no longer make parts for it.

Parker was made in 2005 and they still make replacement parts for it.

I think that just based on the fact that the first two no longer have replacement parts available I am going to go with the Parker.

Thanks!
Jeremy
You shouldn't be disappointed!
Old 09-09-2008, 03:36 AM

I jsut bought a Bear (I forget which model) about 3 weeks ago. I cracked a limb on my Hoyt and am waiting to get it fixed. Its not as fast as my Hoyt but i do love shooting this bow. I split an arrow with it last night at 35 yards.