Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Such a thing as bad practice? >

Such a thing as bad practice?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Such a thing as bad practice?

Old 08-21-2008, 10:21 AM

Default Such a thing as bad practice?

Do you all have better days than others while practicing? Just yesterday my groups were actually very tight and consistent. Today they are good enough to shoot a pair of deer lungs, but that is about it

I suppose there are alot of variables, but on an off day is it better to just walk away before too much frustration sets in?
Old 08-21-2008, 10:34 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Such a thing as bad practice?

yea, you can be good every day, that's we aren't pros ! if you know what you're doing wrong, you can try and correct it, and shoot thru the issue. but if it's just a crummy day, hang it up and take a break. Continuing to shoot on bad day is how you develope bad habits.

Check your bow over too. Make sure everything is tight and working properly.

ORIGINAL: nralover

Do you all have better days than others while practicing? Just yesterday my groups were actually very tight and consistent. Today they are good enough to shoot a pair of deer lungs, but that is about it

I suppose there are alot of variables, but on an off day is it better to just walk away before too much frustration sets in?
Old 08-21-2008, 10:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

There are days I know to just put the bow back in the case. It doesn't happen often but when I'm shooting poorly I quit. I don't want to re-enforce or pick up any bad habits.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:54 AM

Some of it may be that we had a rough night at the factory. Several machines were down, and we did alot of heavy lifting and shoveling of scrap corrugated into the hogger. My only real issue today was lack of steadiness, perhaps from fatigue. I felt rock solid yesterday, but today I had a little trouble holding the pin still...
Old 08-21-2008, 11:07 AM
Typical Buck

yea, when you're fatigued, it's tough when you're fatigued. that's how you can get into lazy shooting habits: dropping your arm, watching for the arrow, no follow thru.

I go by this theory......If I'm shooting good, I go till I get tired. If I'm off, I pack it up and hit it the next day. And if I'm tired, I don't even try.

ORIGINAL: nralover

Some of it may be that we had a rough night at the factory. Several machines were down, and we did alot of heavy lifting and shoveling of scrap corrugated into the hogger. My only real issue today was lack of steadiness, perhaps from fatigue. I felt rock solid yesterday, but today I had a little trouble holding the pin still...
Old 08-21-2008, 11:14 AM

Yes I have bad days where my form is lacking and Im just not really shooting well. Thats when I just pack it up and shoot another day.
Old 08-21-2008, 03:32 PM

That is exactly what you should do. When you get frustrated just walk away and come back later to see if things get better. Fight the urge to end on a good shot, or keep going until you figure it out. And REALLY resist the urge to start tweaking on your bow. If it shot great yesterday chances are nothing changed except your form or concentration.

Shooting frustrated is a great way to get target panic, but I don't think that is your goal.

Paul
Old 08-22-2008, 01:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Paul L Mohr

That is exactly what you should do. When you get frustrated just walk away and come back later to see if things get better. Fight the urge to end on a good shot, or keep going until you figure it out. And REALLY resist the urge to start tweaking on your bow. If it shot great yesterday chances are nothing changed except your form or concentration.

Shooting frustrated is a great way to get target panic, but I don't think that is your goal.

Paul
VERY, VERY Good advice!!!! It took me a LONG time to realize that if I got to the point of being angry with my bow and started making changes then the problem was probably the knucklehead shooting the bow, not the bow itself. Then that would just make the next day bad because you start trying to get everything BACK where it was in the first place.