Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 The point of field point >

The point of field point

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

The point of field point

Old 07-22-2008, 04:50 AM
Spike

Default The point of field point

What's the point of "field point"?

There are the simple conical target points, that are used for "serious" target shooting, so their at least as accurate as FP. And AFAIK, the TP are intended forreduced penetration which is good for practice sessions.

So what is the purpose of field point and their elaborate shape? What is the meaning of the "FIELD" part of the name?

In crossbows forum someone thought TP where prohibited in the sixties for one of the NFAA classes. But it doesnt explain why FPs are widely used today.

Any idea? do YOU use FP? why?
Old 07-22-2008, 08:14 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: The point of field point

In my experience the term target point and field point are used interchangably. Both refer to an arrow head without any sort of cutting blades used strictly for target shooting.

What I think you are referring to might be the Saunders Combo Points

IMHO they do nothing different than a standard parabolic target point does.

I don't see any difference in penetration, target wear or arrow flight using any of the various target or field point configurations.

One thing that I have noticed, the Saunders Combo Points, with their narrow taper at the front seem to make it easier to robbin hood arrows, where a more parabolic type point tends to mess up the nock but will deflect more often, leaving the arrow shaft undamaged.
Old 07-22-2008, 08:37 AM

That Saunders Tip seems to get damaged easier than the conical points in my experience. Did not know that there was a different classification for them though, just thought it was a different field tip design. Will be following the thread for additional info, good question and topic.
Old 07-22-2008, 08:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

I think a FP is designed the way it is to reduce penetration in actual field targets like stump shooting and small game shooting.