Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Trophy Ridge Matrix >

Trophy Ridge Matrix

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Trophy Ridge Matrix

Old 02-22-2003, 12:59 AM
Spike

Default Trophy Ridge Matrix

Matrix Bow Site has come out with the (DVD) Dual Vibration Dampening built into the bracket, like on the Mathews Bow rizer. I was thinking of trying this out but was hope to get some feed back from someone who has tryed this bow site out and could tell me if it mite help get 8' s into 10' s on the 3-D range? The vertical pins on the catolog picture looks like it mite help give a better veiw of the target?

Thanks for any info that could help out a new member to a great web-site!
Keep-um in the 10 ring or now the 11 ring.

Old 02-22-2003, 08:20 AM

Default RE: Trophy Ridge Matrix

I just put Trophy Ridge Matrix with .019 steel pins on my hunting bow. It takes a little getting used to with your pins being vertical. After shooting with horizontal pins for 25 years, the change wasn' t to hard! You seem to have a better target picture. The ease of no tool adjustability is great! I had the sight windage vibrate loose a couple of times. Snugged it up a quarter turn and no problem. One thing I don' t like is the short sight bar. If I was using it for 3Ds I would want at least a seven inch bar. Go to your local pro shop and have him set one up on your bow to try. Guess that would be the only way to find out if you really like it. I went with the steel pin version because some guys had problem with pins breaking. These sights aren' t cheap either. If I encounter any more problems I' ll post again, but so far so good.
Old 02-23-2003, 08:57 AM
Fork Horn

I just put a Trophy Ridge Nitro Extreme 5 pin on my Merlin Lite Storm. I had a Cobra sight on it and I liked that sight, but I had some money burning a hole in my pocket so I' m trying the TR.

The whole " no tools" thing is silly. If you use the wingnut bolts they give you to mount the sight to your bow riser you cant put a quiver bracket on. There are wingnut bolts for windage and elevation adjustments too. Those are a good idea for when you first install the sight and are in the process of sighting it in, but once you get it sighted in, use the ' standard' bolts they give you as well to lock the sight in and keep it from moving. With the wingnut bolts I couldnt get the windage adjustment tight enough to stop it from moving when I shot.

The sight housing and the pins, in my opinion are weak/fragile. Great idea they came up with as far as using vertical pins stacked on top of each other to give you a clear sight picture but they could have put some umph into the sight for the money they' re charging. The housing is plastic but sturdy, I dont think you would crush it if you steped on it. The sight pins are thin, brittle, fragile, cheap plastic. That being said, they are fairly well protected by the sight housing. I say " fairly well" because it' s not unlikely that a tree branch would poke through the sight housing as I' m lowering my bow from my treestand and most certainly breaking off one or more of the sight pins. I' ll have to be careful but when I get out in the evening and it' s dark there' s not much I can do to stop that from happening.

The elevation adjustment has a scale to use but there' s no accurate marker to pinpoint what line you' re using exactly. For the windage adjustment you can use the side of the sight bracket to accurately pinpoint what windage you' re using. Since I remove my sight when I put the bow in the case, a nice addition to the sight would be a block on the side of the windage bar that can be tightened down where you want it. My cobra sight had that and it was nice to slip the sight back in, but it up against the block and go. As it is you just have to remember what line your using and put it there, still accurate though.

The pins are bright but not overly so. Nothing groundbreaking there. I figured for the amount of filament wraped around the sight these things would be on fire. I have yet to use it in low light conditions so the jury' s still out. I do like the sight window though. A nice clear view with only one line in the vertical through to the sight pins as opposed to other sights with several lines in the horizontal extending into the field of view. In the literature they say you can tell if you' re torquing the bow if you can see the side of the sight pins. I suppose that is true but you would have to have a monumental amount of torque to notice it unless you were just concentrating on that one thing. The No-peep shows torque like no other sight aid I' ve seen, but that' s another story. There is an adjustment to the sight housing to hinge it back and forth and there' s a little adjustment scale on top but no indexer to make it useful. This is not something that detracts from the sight because making this adjustment is a one time thing. The vertical pin adjustment is pretty nice. On the bottom there are two pegs for each sight pin. One peg unlocks it and the other peg adjusts the sight pin up and down as you move it.

Overall I' d say it' s a fair sight as far as durability goes. Great as far as sight picture goes. Average pin brightness (not tested in low light conditions yet). Fair to poor concerning cost. My $.02

Cargo

ps: I' ve been shooting the site for a few months now and have been unable to get the windage tight enough to not move when I shoot. I' ll crank it down until my allen wrench starts to bend or I think I' m going to rip the site bracket off my bow and eventually I will find that it has moved after several shots. The TR customer support sent me a new horizontal bar for it no questions asked so that was nice. I havent had the time to complain further.
Old 02-24-2003, 08:57 AM
Spike

JackO and Cargo Thanks for all of the info about the TR Matrix site.

Cargo if this site keeps coming loose during the shooting of the 3_D course than it seems scary to use it. Well anyhow you two haved help me out with my choice of site. Thanks

Penseeker2