Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Paper tunning

Old 04-03-2008, 03:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Paper tunning

We're just offering our advice on this. Too many people get stuck on paper tuning and can never get the bow to shoot the way they want but the arrow shoots just fine at distance and with broadheads.

I fell into that trap when I started back into shooting early last year and I've even watched shop owners and other shooters spend way too much time shooting a bow through paper trying to work out a problem that will never go away. i spent about an hour trying to paper tune my bow. A friend that owns a shop told me to forget that and tune my bow at distance. After i tuned it with French Tuning I decided to shoot it through paper just to see the results and I had a perfect hole.

With walk back or French tuning you will be assured that your bow is tuned well at distance and really that's what counts, isn't it? Most people do not get a 3-4 yd shot at a animal. Just my $.02
Old 04-05-2008, 05:08 AM

And what exactly is 'walk back or French' tuning ??
Old 04-05-2008, 06:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: zatback

And what exactly is 'walk back or French' tuning ??
Please provide me with an email addy and I'll gladly send you an article on French tuning.

In short,
I do it a little different than the article I'll send due to the fact that I've found out that my bow sighted in at 50 yds is the same as shooting at 4 yds and 50 yds is a pretty standard pin for most hunters with multiple pins. Sight in your 50 yd pin at about4 yds by adjusting your sight. You need to make sure you aredead center.

Now, go back to 50 yds and shoot6 shots. If you hit left of the target move your rest a little to the right. If you hit high of the target move your rest a little down. You shouldn't really have to worry about vertical adjustment but if it is off, adjust. When I say a little I mean 1/32" of an inch max.

Go back to 4 yds and adjust your sight again for dead center.

Go back to 50 and shoot 6 more arrows. Adjust the rest accordingly. Repeat as necessary. I've found that usually after the second round I'm on.

There is a great thread at the beginning of the technical forum by TFOX that goes into walk back and other methods of tuning.