Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Max Shooting Distance >

Max Shooting Distance

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Max Shooting Distance

Old 03-27-2008, 05:22 PM
Spike

Default Max Shooting Distance

I'm just curious if there is anybody out there that shoots out to 60 yrds at game. If so how fast of a bow do you need, is 285FPS fast enough ??
Old 03-27-2008, 05:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Max Shooting Distance

ORIGINAL: schmoe147

I'm just curious if there is anybody out there that shoots out to 60 yrds at game. If so how fast of a bow do you need, is 285FPS fast enough ??
yep thats plenty fast enough.

I shoot out to 110 yards and my bow spits my arrows out at a whopping 245fps
Old 03-27-2008, 05:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've killed a couple of animals at 80+ yards. I would not try those shots today.Those were made back when the eyes were better and I felt bullet proofI pretty much impose a 50 yard limit on myself now. It really depends on conditions. I passed a Super Buck this year at 8 yards because the shot would have been low percentage. There are times when a 45-50 yard shot is very high percentage shot. You just have to learn the difference. You for sure can Not shoot at every deer within 50 yards[8D]

Dan
Old 03-28-2008, 09:52 AM

It's not a matter of how fast the arrow is going as much as knowing whether it's 60 or 57 yards and having an arrow carrying enough momentum out that far to do the job once it arrives.

Bowhunting is about getting closer, not shooting farther.
Old 03-28-2008, 11:22 AM

Like Kodiakarcher said it's all about getting on the inside distance but that said in some parts of the country some bowhunters are faced with 50 to 60 yard shots and prepare for them. Antelope hunting in the plains out west you better be prepared for taking a 40 yard shot and maybe a bit more. And I think the higher speeds the newer bows are launching at increases the potential of KE at those distances enough to be very lethal.
Old 03-28-2008, 11:45 AM

ORIGINAL: Grandviewer
And I think the higher speeds the newer bows are launching at increases the potential of KE at those distances enough to be very lethal.
Remember, while higher speeds and lighter arrows increase KE in close, those light arrows don't carry their energy (speed or penetration) down range as efficiently as a heavy arrow. The heavy slow arrow is also more stable in flight. If you're going to be shooting long distances (over 50 yards) at anything bigger than a whitetail (or antelope) the way to go is with a heavy arrow and a rangefinder.

I'll harp on these threads over and over again, ad-nauseum. Learn to be humble and pass the shot up (and go home empty handed now and again). If you really need to shoot that far, and have to take something home, take up the rifle. Sorry, it's one of my few soap-box issues.
Old 03-28-2008, 11:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: KodiakArcher

It's not a matter of how fast the arrow is going as much as knowing whether it's 60 or 57 yards and having an arrow carrying enough momentum out that far to do the job once it arrives.

AMEN!!!!

What MOST guys don't understand is that even at 285 to 300 fps that arrow is dropping about 1.5" per yard past about 55yds. Think that animal is 62 and he's 65, you may likely be putting an arrow in the BRISKET. Reverse the scenario, and you may get luck and spine him, or just tear up some backstrap meat.

But these words are GOLDEN....

"Bowhunting is about getting closer....."

Old 03-28-2008, 12:53 PM

I agree with Kodiak.Even though I shoot out to 80yds. at the 3-D course,there is no way I'm taking a shot at game at more than 50yds.Even at that 50yds.,everything would have to be perfect.Here in the Northeast,85% of the deer I shoot are less than 30yds....Bob
Old 03-28-2008, 07:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I practice to 60 and am comfortable at that range but i look for shots 40 and in. The longer shooting distance is great prep. I think everyone should strive to practice at longer ranges if space allows. It really makes that 20 yard shot look like a piece of cake even though it never is!!! LOL
Old 03-28-2008, 07:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: OHbowhntr

ORIGINAL: KodiakArcher

AMEN!!!!

What MOST guys don't understand is that even at 285 to 300 fps that arrow is dropping about 1.5" per yard past about 55yds. Think that animal is 62 and he's 65, you may likely be putting an arrow in the BRISKET. Reverse the scenario, and you may get luck and spine him, or just tear up some backstrap meat.

But these words are GOLDEN....

"Bowhunting is about getting closer....."
Great post both of you guys!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Max Shooting Distance

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.