Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Centershot or Spine; Update >

Centershot or Spine; Update

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Centershot or Spine; Update

Old 03-26-2008, 06:18 PM

Default Centershot or Spine; Update

Does centershot change with arrow selection?

Here's why I ask. Monday night I was shooting 250 CX Maximas from 15 to 30 yards using the same pin. Windage on the groups remained the same, but elevation dropped a bit going back. Groups were good for my skill level

Tonight, I was shooting 400 Lightspeeds and they fell left to right as I went from 15 to 30...elevation dropped similar to the CX arrows. Groups were inconsistent compared to the CXs.

Thanks for any advise

Chris
'07 Guardian 30" @ 62-63#
Trophy Taker FC
CX Maxima 362g w/100g tips 27" long
Easton Lightspeeds 347g w/100g tips 27" long
Old 03-26-2008, 07:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Centershot or Spine

The centershot doesn't actually change,that is the path of the string and cam rotation.

Left to right impact will change when spine changes but you should be shooting the spine that allows you to shoot with the powerpath of the string.
Old 03-27-2008, 04:49 AM

Thanks TFOX,

If I understand you correctly, it is a spine issue and I need to shot the arrow that performs best with my setup...?

The CXs also leave the bow with a nice resonant feel and sound. The lightspeeds feel different...almost a "loose" feeling. Does that make any sense?

Chris
Old 03-27-2008, 04:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

That might just be the weight of the arrow causing that feel.The heavier arrow will have less felt vibration.
Old 03-30-2008, 02:48 PM

Default RE: Centershot or Spine; Update

I went out for another session with the Lightspeed arrows. This time I switched the 100g points for 75g and the problem disappeared. Now I can also shoot one pin back to 30 yards as well because the arrows don't drop like with the 100g tips.

They really flew well! Not sure if it's a FOC problem with the lighter weight arrow or spine or both. Don't really care because it hits where I aim, consistently!

Chris
Old 03-31-2008, 08:11 PM

TFOX,

If an arrow hits at the same elevation but 5" to the left (I'm left handed) of a similar arrow does that mean it is a weaker spine? The reason I ask is I have been shooting older CX400's and recently went to CXL2 Selects and they hit to the left every time. My archery software says both arrows are optimally spined but obviously something is not right.

Thanks,
Don
Old 03-31-2008, 08:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: ar4000

TFOX,

If an arrow hits at the same elevation but 5" to the left (I'm left handed) of a similar arrow does that mean it is a weaker spine? The reason I ask is I have been shooting older CX400's and recently went to CXL2 Selects and they hit to the left every time. My archery software says both arrows are optimally spined but obviously something is not right.

Thanks,
Don
My guess is if they are of the same spine,then something else is probably the issue with there being a 5" difference.A slight difference maybe but not 5" imo.

It is probably a slight contact issue or a rest setting issue(more contact on one side than the other)
Old 03-31-2008, 08:34 PM

CX400 spine is .319 and CXL2 Select is .332...both say "Optimum Spine" Archer's Advantage. Bow is 82nd. 71 lbs and the CX400's are 324 fps w/85 gr. tips. CXL's are set up the same.

That said, I will take a long hard look at the rest (Rip Cord) and vane contact.

Thanks for the help.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

CX400 spine is .319 and CXL2 Select is .332...both say "Optimum Spine" Archer's Advantage. Bow is 82nd. 71 lbs and the CX400's are 324 fps w/85 gr. tips. CXL's are set up the same.

That said, I will take a long hard look at the rest (Rip Cord) and vane contact.

Thanks for the help.
You might do better off to up the tip weight a little.... I'm guessing based on OT2 that the CX400 is a stronger spine, but you shouldn't have that much difference in POI. Adding a little tip weight may slow things just a hair and provide you with another perspective. Based on what I've plugged in though, you need more tip weight to hit the spine chart better anyhow. Try some 100 and 125 grain heads and see what happens.
Old 04-01-2008, 04:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

TFOX,

Thanks,
Don
Arrows weaken in spine over time. I think the L2's are just that much stiffer.

You probably can't do it now, but if you take the cut off's of each arrow and drop them, they should make a different sound. If they do, they're not the same to begin with. The higher the pitch/stiffer the farther left they'll go. The stiffer they are the farther apart BH and FP impact points will be.THat's been my experience with spines of different arrows of the same spineObviously can't be the same.