Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 silencing my new bow >

silencing my new bow

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

silencing my new bow

Old 02-28-2008, 07:02 PM

Default RE: silencing my new bow

did you shoot it with or without string leeches, cause i have read that the leeaches make the bow have alittle hand shock which i felt, or could it have been the arrow i shot was really light?
Old 02-28-2008, 07:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Every bow is different but I think my bow was quietest with BOTH string leeches AND the Mean V suppressor. They both work fine by themselves but even better together.

Try it with and without the leeches. They definitely won't HURT anything.
Old 02-28-2008, 07:41 PM

ORIGINAL: gzg38b

ORIGINAL: sngehl01

As for silencing the bow, STS (well meanv) is the way to go. I shoot an STS (didn't know about meanV at the time either) and I love it. Makes the bow feel dead in your hand after the shot, really quiets it down too. You can't use string leeches on your string if you shoot an STS, but you can put them on the cables. They'll break off the string easy with an STS, buth without one they usually last a long time. Cat whiskers are really good for sound dampening, but they slow the arrow down more than a string leech. An STS/MeanV won't slow down your arrow, but it really helps with speed.

Also try limbsavers or HEMI dampeners on your limbs (place them closer to the riser for maximum speed). You can also try putting speed nocks on your string to pick up some speed too. Also, a good stabilizer never hurt anyone (doinker's are quite nice, but I like my limbsaver one I used to use, and it was only like $15-20)
This is absolutely false. I had the same set of Sims Super String leeches in my string, along with my Mean V and they lasted for over a year before replacing them. I also put them in my cables. I shot a 500 grain arrow, and used Bowjax limb jacks on my limbs and cable guard as well as a Sims S coil stabilizer. My bow was SCARY quiet like that.
No, this is not absolutely false.

I went through several sets of string leeches before I totally gave up on using them. You will find many other people who had the same thing happen. Instead of the string stopping itself, it comes to an abrupt stop, which causes those little boogers to break. Maybe your 500 grain arrow helped your cause, but I shoot a 360 grain arrow @ 70 pounds and the leeches really don't last.

I'm not saying yours will break off your string, but in my experiance, as well as that of many others, string leeches don't work well (and are not necessary) with an STS or some other sort of string stopping/shock absorbing device.

Best thing I can tell you is try it. If they break off quickly, I wouldn't bother with them again. If they last then they aren't hurting anything sitting there.
Old 02-28-2008, 07:46 PM

http://hunting.net/forum/tm.aspx?m=2595899&mpage=3&key=

check the third page, there are two more people who had problems with string leeches being on with a string suppressor.

just try them, if you don't like them or if they break, you can always take them back out.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: sngehl01

http://hunting.net/forum/tm.aspx?m=2595899&mpage=3&key=

check the third page, there are two more people who had problems with string leeches being on with a string suppressor.

just try them, if you don't like them or if they break, you can always take them back out.
Toclarify - I'm talking about the new design (Sims "Super" String Leeches).

Theoriginal ones sucked and didn't last. The "Super" String Leeches lasted over a year, and I shoot ALOT.
Old 02-29-2008, 04:25 PM

Okay. I understand better now.

Yeah, I never had luck with the originals, well I did before I got my STS.

I've heard people rave about the new designs, so they may work more effectively with an STS.

I might try the "super" string leeches.