Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Silencing a bow

Old 08-29-2005, 10:05 PM

Default Silencing a bow

Hello all:

I'm shooting a pretty old bow, and the string seems to make a lot of noise when I shoot. I've got two silencers (the whisker kind) on the string already: is there anything else I can do to reduce the noise? Thanks a lot.
Old 08-29-2005, 10:20 PM

Default RE: Silencing a bow

how long is your axle - axle length ? i have a 48" and the whiskers work great. although my rig is pretty quiet with out any att all so, any type works. but i think the whiskers are best for mine.

i`m not sure if that string length has anything to do with it at all. i`m just curious as toif thats why mine is so quiet.

PT
Old 08-30-2005, 03:12 AM

These are supposed to be the cats meow now... http://www.selectarchery.com/STS.shtml From what I gather, it is supposed to work like the Mathews String suppressors. Several of guys are putting them on Mathews bows as well meaning they must be mo-betta.
Chris
Old 08-30-2005, 06:43 AM

I'd give the leeches a try. It doesn't add up too much though because the older, slower bows were always very quiet in my experience.
Old 08-30-2005, 07:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

I wouldn't do the STS thing. Depending on how old your bow is, it probably costs more than your bow is worth. Nor would I suggest leeches, considering two sets of catwhiskers aren't quieting the bow enough. Leeches are the 'in thing' but they really work no better at silencing than catwhiskers, so you'd be wasting money. You could try yarn puffs or tarantulas. Those are the only silencers I've found to work better than whiskers. Of course, they're heavier than whiskers and will cut your arrow speed some.

You don't say what bow you're talking about, what the draw weight is, or what your arrow weight is. That kind of information would be helpful. But as a rule, if you're shooting the bow at the low end of it's draw weight range it will be noisier than if you were shooting it at the peak end. Also, the lighter your arrows the noisier the bow will be.

If your old bow is set up with dual cams instead of round wheels, you're just going to have to suck it up and accept the noise. NOTHING will make those old cam bows quiet. Back in the late 80's/early 90's, some of those bows sounded like you were shooting a .410 bore shotgun. You can reduce the noise by shooting heavy arrows which, again, will mean slower arrows but more penetrating power! If you're shooting carbon arrows, get some Carbon Express weight tubes and try weighting them down some.

Old 08-30-2005, 08:52 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Arthur P
You don't say what bow you're talking about, what the draw weight is, or what your arrow weight is. That kind of information would be helpful. But as a rule, if you're shooting the bow at the low end of it's draw weight range it will be noisier than if you were shooting it at the peak end. Also, the lighter your arrows the noisier the bow will be.
I would have to agree with Arthur P,
try going to a heavier arrow or increase your draw weight if you can.
Old 08-30-2005, 09:36 AM
Boone & Crockett

Throw another vote in for more arrow weight. Though Arthur is correct with the difficulty in quieting some of the older bows a little extra arrow weight can work wonders with others.
Old 08-30-2005, 01:34 PM

Thanks for the tips. I'm thinking I'll go with a heavier arrow--I'm shooting some pretty light carbon ones right now. Maybe I'll go back to aluminum.

The bow, incidentally, is a Browning Cobra (yeah...I just picked it up cheap while wandering through the gunstore last year), and that's all I know about it. I can't find out when it was made or anything. I have the draw weight set close to the limit, which I estimate to be around 60 pounds, maybe 65.
Old 08-30-2005, 03:25 PM
Fork Horn

Try a Easton XX75 2216'swith a 100 grain broad head(get some 100 grain field tips to practice with) My brother shoots a older Browning bowand thats what he uses.
Seems to be pretty quiet.(now if I could just get him to change his vanes to
Quick Spins!)
Also, you might want to try adding some LimbSavers for the limbs on your bow.
Old 08-30-2005, 04:32 PM
Typical Buck

The one biggest thing I ever did was to add limb savers.And they are cheap.

Quick Reply: Silencing a bow

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.