Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Grains per inch vs. spine >

Grains per inch vs. spine

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Grains per inch vs. spine

Old 02-21-2008, 07:03 AM
Fork Horn

Default Grains per inch vs. spine

So last night I went to the local archery shop where I bought my Hoyt Vulcan (26" draw, 25.5" arrow length, 100 grain tip 2.5" blazer vanes). I brought a ton of questions with me mostly about why they would have suggested me shooting the Blackhawk Vapor Hunter whitetail arrows in a 5000 series shaft. From what I have learned in this forum that is over spined for me quite a bit. The response I got from the owner was that he was trying to help me make weight for my bow poundage. I am currently shooting 70# (just had it measured last night)but my bow can be cranked up to 80# and he said within that 10# range I need to have at least 6 grains per pound pulled on my bow. He also said this would probably be a difficult task to find an arrow to make weight and be spined correctly. He then gave me two 350 CX Maxima Hunters with the FOC technology to try and said that these would be a better fit than the Vapors I am currently shooting... Thus today I wanted to share this info with all of you and see if what my local archery shop is telling me makes sense, I ask because if I end up having to go with the CX Maxima's or an arrow like that I will be doubling my per dozen price. I just want to make sure I am not being sold something that just costs more and doesn't actually help my problem.
Old 02-21-2008, 07:22 AM

Default RE: Grains per inch vs. spine

I believe the rule of thumb is 5 grains of arrow weight per pound of draw weight - minimum. Most hunting arrowsare going to make that total arrow weight minimum.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Actually I think the guy at our shop is looking for you to go up in weight so the Vapor 5000's might be necessary later. I don't have a chart in front of me. If these are spined for 80# and that's what you are striving to achieve (I don't know why) he could be saving you money in the long run.

How long you intend to shoot at 70# can be a factor, too. You are surely going to lose some arrows, break them, or just plain destroy some and will need to replace them at some time. You could get 4000's for now and jump up a spine later when you tuen the bow up. This is for you to determine.

One other thing. Blackhawk Vapors are not the most expensive arrows on the shelf. Maximas are pretty near the top of the price range. So "NO", I don't think he's trying to rip you.
Old 02-21-2008, 10:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

Blackhawk Vapors are not the most expensive arrows on the shelf.

It could be worse he could have said you need the CX Nano Pro @ $350.00 per dozen (shaft only) or the Easton X10 Pro tour @ $360.00 per dozen ( Shaft only)
Old 02-21-2008, 11:47 AM

I think your biggest problem is your short draw length and the fact your shooting a high poundage bow to boot. I don't think the blackhawk vapor whitetails you are shooting are ever going to get you where you would like as far as spine ratings. They are too stiff with your short arrow length. If you had a 29" draw length then your in the money. I would try to get i little lighter spine around a 0.400. seeings your arrows are so short. It may seem like they are too weak but most people that shoot that high of draw weight usually have longer draw lengths.I am not sure if your bow requires 6 gpp like your archery guy said but i do know most require a minimum of5 gpp not to void warranties. I shoot axis FMJ and they are pretty heavy at 11.1 gpi so they might be an arrow to look at if you need to get yourweight up. Another thing that may help is leave your arrows a little longer like maybe 26.5or 27". It will help weaken the arrow the longer it is. The arrows you have will work but they are too stiff for your setup. Better being stiff than tooweak. You could always try an extremely heavy broadhed 200grain to try to get the spine rating you need with the arrows you have.
Old 02-21-2008, 12:09 PM
Fork Horn

I think you are correct I think I will probably try something with a lighter spine I know I am having this problem because I am short. The whole reason I decided to go with the 70-80# bow was because I hunt elk, and have a goal to hunt africa big game inthe next 5 years. Thus I would like to shoot atleast 70# especially with my short stature. The weight is not a problem for me atleast. I am only 25 so I probably have a good 10 years to be able to pull in the 70# range. Your FMJ's seem to weigh about what mine do at 11gpi. Thanks for the help. I appreciate it.
Old 02-21-2008, 12:11 PM
Fork Horn

I actually plan on staying at 70# for a while but would like to be able to go up in poundage if and when I do an Africa big game hunt (dream for now). So from what I read of your post you are suggesting to buy arrows for what works at 70# and if I move up later then buy arrows for that weight increase great idea!
Old 02-21-2008, 05:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: AZHuntr

I actually plan on staying at 70# for a while but would like to be able to go up in poundage if and when I do an Africa big game hunt (dream for now). So from what I read of your post you are suggesting to buy arrows for what works at 70# and if I move up later then buy arrows for that weight increase great idea!
That's exactly what I meant. If you're like most people you're going to be replacing arrows periodically so yo buy stiffer arrows as you move up in weight. To pick the right sine pay more attemtion to the manufacturer's selection charts.

Just pulling info from experience, but with your draw length and 70# you should probably be shooting something with a 340 spine. This might even work OK up to 80#, but I'd think more like a 300 spine for that.
Old 02-21-2008, 06:36 PM
Fork Horn

After doing a bit of research i think I am going to go with the 350 CX Maxima Hunters the spine is 0.337 or the 250 CX Maxima Hunters which is 0.417 spine but according to the chart II am in between so I think stiff is better than weak. Thanks for all your help so far if you canrecommend any arrows that you feel are better let me know.