Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 paper tuning..tuning >

paper tuning..tuning

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

paper tuning..tuning

Old 02-11-2008, 03:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default paper tuning..tuning

i know paper tuning will usually get you close and be a starting point and can be an indicator of stiff or weak spine etc...then take it from there onto a walk back, BH tuning, or bareshaft tuning to fine tune things...

am i wrong in thinking that a paper tune is about useless if you have very poor form/grip/torque terribly etc??? i know for a while, i torqued as soon as i released the arrow, but 99% of the time it was before the arrow left the string...no way on earth i could shoot a bullet hole unless my tune was that much outta whack...so id think you could have a perfectly tuned bow NOT shoot bullet holes because of poor form etc...right?

what about the other tuning methods?? after im paper tuned, i usually go on to a walk back or straight to a big fixed broadhead to tune. i dont know everything there is to know about anything, let alone archery...but i found once i get a big, long fixed broadhead to shoot with fieldpoints, it seems things are really in tune....long range groups shrink and hit where i send them. seems if i can get my BHs to shoot where i want at 30-40yds, my tune is where it needs to be...

but, say you still have poor form or torque or whatever...will that show up in the other tuning methods like it will a paper tune?? just bored and pondering...dont even know why im thinking about bow tune right now lol...
Old 02-11-2008, 04:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: paper tuning..tuning

Your assumptions are correct except for one thing,the paper isn't useless if you have poor form or grip,it can help you correct that problem and achieve a consistant grip that isn't torquing it.
Old 02-11-2008, 05:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

but, to correct poor form with paper tuning, your bow has to be shooting bullet holes FIRST...then you can shoot the paper and say "HEY! my bow shoots bullet holes...i got a weird tear..i must be torquing.."

im gettin this stuff....slowly but surely
Old 02-11-2008, 08:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

You also have to be getting a consistant tear when shooting so when the tear isn't consistant,bam,you know there is a problem.Plus,it isn't hard to get a bow setup so that it SHOULD get a good tear.Plus,there are plenty of people that don't torque the bow to help in that area.