Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Picking a stabilizer? >

Picking a stabilizer?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Picking a stabilizer?

Old 01-31-2008, 12:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Picking a stabilizer?

How do you/did you determine which stabilizer to put on your bow?

Is there a method, other than trying each one on your hunting bow, that can help you determine which is the best length, weight, etc?

Or is it just pick one that looks cool because they all do basically the same thing?
Old 01-31-2008, 12:06 PM

Default RE: Picking a stabilizer?

Good question! Besides looks, what is the weight of stabilizer vs. your bow calculation because I could just make one?
Old 02-01-2008, 06:02 AM

hey Bruce, I was thinking of the same thing and did some research on the internet. Cant believe how hard it is to find good info unless your shooting in the olympics and have fifty stabilzers on your bow. They dont really talk too much about what is a good setup for hunting bows. From what i gather on the topic they talk about the bow being on the same plane as the stabilizers and using stabilizers to offset torque in all direction of bow movement. On competition bows they talk about hanging your bow from the nock point and draw a vertical line to the grip point but after that it got pretty confusing but in a nut shell (ifI understood it right)if the bow tips forward (top limb lower than bottom limb) you need to add more weight to the bottom side of the bow and vice versa. This also has some affect on tiller adjustments some how I guess more weight on top or bottom puts more strain on opposite side. They also go into rotational forces but i quit reading after that because it didn't pertain to me. So what did I learn on how to pick the right stabilizer. Go find the one that looks cool and matches your bow. (just kidding) They say for hunting purposes that shorter and lighter are usually better suited than longer heavier ones. Manuverabilty is probably the most logical reason. Now for competition the longer heavier ones are better but what length and weight I have no Idea. Hope this helps a little.
Old 02-01-2008, 06:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

Do you just want something to absorb vibration and help balance the bow? Do you need something that will actually stabilize the bow and help with steadying your aim and withtorque problems? How much maneuverability are you willing to sacrifice? How much additional weight are you willing to deal with?

There are plenty of the shock absorber and counterbalance type stabilizers on the market. Take your pick.

If you need actual stabilization, you will need something at least 10" long to get much help for that. That's where the manueverability comes in. You don't want to be at full draw following a walking buck with your sight pin, only to have the stabilizer whack a tree limb.

And, naturally, the weight thing is obvious. A tree-percher can live with more mass weight than a spot-and-stalker who's toting his bow up and down mountain sides.

Just figure out what you want/need, then find the stabilizer that's the best fit. It ain't rocket science.
Old 02-01-2008, 06:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

I went to a shop that let me try several. I picked what felt best.That was 2 bows ago though. I still have the Vibra-chek I bought that day and put it on my new bow. For my wifes bow I just bought a Simms S-Coil because I heard good things about its shock absorbing qualities.
Old 02-01-2008, 08:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Arthur P

Do you just want something to absorb vibration and help balance the bow? Do you need something that will actually stabilize the bow and help with steadying your aim and withtorque problems? How much maneuverability are you willing to sacrifice? How much additional weight are you willing to deal with?
I suppose that is why I am asking. How do I know if I need something to help balance the bow? Will my arrows consistantly hit the target a certain way? I can kind of figure out the "stabilize and steady my aim" part in that if my pin is floating around alot then I am guessing that would be where the "stabilize and steady my aim" would come in. Maneuverability (I would like/needthis)and weight (I am not concerned about this)seem self-explanatory.

I use my bow(s) for hunting. I am going to use it more this year for some predator hunting (fox) in the tree and on the ground. I am also going to use it for a lot more small game hunting. The only target shooting I do is out back and I can shoot as far as I want/need too.

Right now it seems my main concerns in deciding on a stabilizer would be balance (if needed), steady aim/torque and maneuverability. I have not shot this bow yet as I am still putting it together so I may not even need the steady aim/torque part.

How about this: Do you necessarily need a stabilizer on a compound hunting bow?
Old 02-01-2008, 08:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Parkerbuckhunter

They say for hunting purposes that shorter and lighter are usually better suited than longer heavier ones. Manuverabilty is probably the most logical reason.
Thanks for the info and this part makes sense for hunting purposes. But now I am wondering if we even need a stabilizer for hunting purposes? I suppose it mostly depends on the shooter and the bow which leads back to my original (kind of) question. How would you determine if you need one and how do you determine which one you need.
Old 02-01-2008, 08:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

A stabilizer is one of those things that can be helpful but isn't an absolute requirement. Whether or not you choose to use one is, obviously, a personal preference issue.

Whether you need one for balance depends on the bow. Do you like the way it hangs in your hand at the shot? You don't need to mess with the balance then.

Or does itrock backwards and the top camtries to poke you in the forehead every shot? Then you'll want a stabilizer with just enough weight to change the balance point to make it either hang still or rock slightly forward at the shot.

There isn't any scientific formula to plug into a computer and have it spit out the exact stabilizer you need. The fit of every human/bow is unique. The feel you get for a bow is unique. Your preference for how a bow should feel is unique.

Choosingthe right stabilizer for you and your bow is like finding a pearl in a hog pen. Sometimes you've got to dig through quite a bit of slop to find it.I wish it were easier than that, but it ain't.
Old 02-10-2008, 11:35 AM
Fork Horn

I am shooting a 12 inch B-Stinger on my hunting rig, which double as a target bow for now...

12 inches is not too long where it is a hindrence in the woods or blind, and the B-Stinger REALLY helps me hold super-steady on target.