Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 draw length too long? >

draw length too long?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

draw length too long?

Old 02-18-2008, 04:55 AM

Default RE: draw length too long?

Regardless of anything else (release, loop) it looks to me like you actual draw length is at least an inch too long. The end of the arrow (not the nock) should be a right at the corner of your mouth. Your draw elbow shoud be inline or a little above your wrist, having it below the wrist is an indicator of a DL that's too long.Also, it lookslike you're not standing up straight, rather you're leaning back.
Old 02-18-2008, 05:55 AM
Fork Horn

I also believe that your DL is a bit too long. And, although not necessarily related to your form, having that nock ring inside the loop isn't allowing the nock end of the arrow to fly "true" (I notice in the pics that your release is straight behind the ring, not behind the nock) This is a great how-to for a better way: http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2185934

That flying elbow will most likely stay in that position as long as your index finger knuckle is anchored against your ear, unless you really make an effort to pull the elbow down (at least that's what I'm finding as I sit here trying to mimic what you do...) If you're open to suggestions, try turning your wrist so that your fingers are away from your face and shove your thumb underneath your jawbone. I think you'll find that it's almost impossible for the right elbow to be anywhere but aligned with the arrow if you try that.
Old 02-18-2008, 08:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: JNTURK

ORIGINAL: BGfisher

Although the pic is froma different angle it appears that you are making some progress. The nose job is definitely better. You still have a death grip on the bow, though.

Take notice of one thing. See how your right elbow is lower than the hand? The forearm is angled uphill? This is indicative of being stretched out too far. What you are looking for eventually is for the arm to be straight with the arrow.

I can tell you are getting closer to good form. You just look more relaxed.

T think if I were you I'd take a break from all the adjusting and shoot the thing for a about a week. Gibe the body and mind a little time to adjust to a new feel. Then make some smaller changes. A little at a time.
thanks for repying again BG...do you think if i were to lower the draw length some then my elbow would straighten out? or should i first make the d-loop smaller? i have been studying/shooting all day and working on it....pushing the bow away from me more and keeping the string on the tip ofmy nose feels comfortable and the shots feel better ( groups are a little tighter too)

thanks again,
josh
Yes, according to the way I set things up the bow is too long and so is the loop. You might be able to tweak a little more by shortening the release, too. Take notice as to where your era lobe touches your finger. You should strive to have the next knuckle back, where the finger meets the hand, in the hollow just below your ear lobe or nearly so. This means you need about 1 1/2" shorter. That's a combination of the loop, bow draw length, and release strap. The easy changes at this point are the release and a 1" shorter draw length module. Then do some shooting for a while. You can always do some fine tuning later with loop length. Who knows? You may not have to change it.

If you really get anal about this and play around you'll find a sweet spot for draw length where your aiming process gets rock solid. Too long a draw and you tend to wander around on the target slowly, in a figure eight pattern. When you get too short the movement is pretty much the same pattern, but the movements are more jerky. When you find that sweet spot you'll aim like you have Paul Bunyan arms and with less effort.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: JNTURK

Although the pic is froma different angle it appears that you are making some progress. The nose job is definitely better. You still have a death grip on the bow, though.

Take notice of one thing. See how your right elbow is lower than the hand? The forearm is angled uphill? This is indicative of being stretched out too far. What you are looking for eventually is for the arm to be straight with the arrow.

I can tell you are getting closer to good form. You just look more relaxed.

T think if I were you I'd take a break from all the adjusting and shoot the thing for a about a week. Gibe the body and mind a little time to adjust to a new feel. Then make some smaller changes. A little at a time.
thanks for repying again BG...do you think if i were to lower the draw length some then my elbow would straighten out? or should i first make the d-loop smaller? i have been studying/shooting all day and working on it....pushing the bow away from me more and keeping the string on the tip ofmy nose feels comfortable and the shots feel better ( groups are a little tighter too)

thanks again,
josh
Yes, according to the way I set things up the bow is too long and so is the loop. You might be able to tweak a little more by shortening the release, too. Take notice as to where your era lobe touches your finger. You should strive to have the next knuckle back, where the finger meets the hand, in the hollow just below your ear lobe or nearly so. This means you need about 1 1/2" shorter. That's a combination of the loop, bow draw length, and release strap. The easy changes at this point are the release and a 1" shorter draw length module. Then do some shooting for a while. You can always do some fine tuning later with loop length. Who knows? You may not have to change it.

If you really get anal about this and play around you'll find a sweet spot for draw length where your aiming process gets rock solid. Too long a draw and you tend to wander around on the target slowly, in a figure eight pattern. When you get too short the movement is pretty much the same pattern, but the movements are more jerky. When you find that sweet spot you'll aim like you have Paul Bunyan arms and with less effort.
thanks for tunning in again.....i really appreciate the analogy....i was going to ask what would happen if i don't change it...but you summed it up......i will do what i can to get the archery shop to get it changed soon (they are far away and with school and family problems it may be a while)....after i go down to 30" and play with it some i will re-post and see what you guys think............i REALLY appreciate all of you taking the time to help me out with this...

Josh
Old 02-22-2008, 03:58 AM

UL 31, good taste. What's it matter, you can't miss with a parker anyways
Old 02-22-2008, 10:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

yea even with me having an inch over draw i can still put 3 in the heart at 60 yrds (80% of the time).....but yep, can't beat a Parker, IMO