Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 To Long of a Draw Length >

To Long of a Draw Length

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

To Long of a Draw Length

Old 08-08-2004, 04:38 PM

Default To Long of a Draw Length

I went to my pro shop a couple of weeks ago and was going to have my draw length shorten because my string has stretched. He said where my draw length is is fine where it is. Well im not so sure about that my shooting has gone down hill. My anchor point is where my thumb is hooked on the edge of my jawbone right where the jawbone starts to go up, almost under my ear.

I say my draw legnth is to long but the guy at the pro shop disagrees. What do you guys think. I think i might be switching pro shops, and is coming very close to selling my bow and going strickly traditional.

This is very frustrating [:@]
Old 08-08-2004, 04:49 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: To Long of a Draw Length

I have delt with this crap before. Sounds like the person at the proshop is to lazy to adjust your draw length. I would say it is a little long. I would go in there again and tell them I wanted it adjusted. If they disagree I would go elsewhere.
good luck.
Old 08-08-2004, 05:34 PM

i agree with superrman77..sounds like a bunch of lazy guys to me!
Old 08-08-2004, 07:38 PM
nub

was going to have my draw length shorten because my string has stretched.
If your string has stretched, your draw could be too long. Regardless, it would need to be twisted. What bow? What cam/cams?
Old 08-08-2004, 08:31 PM

Or maybe his shop actually knows what they are talking about and doesn't want to see him with too short of a draw length. It's kind of hard to say without actually seeing it. It doesn't sound excessively long to me. It just feels odd because it is not where it used to be. It will take some getting used to. Where did you anchor to before just out of curiousity? That is pretty much how I anchor acually a bit behind that. That gives you a very good repeatable anchor point if put your knuckle right into the back of your jaw bone. I anchor right under my ear now.

It would be really hard to tell without seeing the rest of your form. If your arm is really extended and you are all stretched out, then it may be a bit long. If you can use this anchor point and still have a slightly bent arm or have relaxed form I would say stick with it. If you were anchoring somewhere behind your head, like you could hook your thumb behind your neck or had no anchor on you face I would say it was too long. Yours doesn't sound that way. Maybe you should go to another shop and ask them to take a look at your form. Don't just insist that it's too long and you want it changed. Tell them exactly what happened and ask thier opinion.

Yes the customer is usually right, but not at the expense of letting them leave with bad form or an ill fitting set up. It would reflect bad on your shop in the long run. Too short of a draw can be just as problematic as too long of a draw. However if you can't get used to it, go back and ask them to shorten it, whether they think it looks right or not. I am sure they will change it if you insist.

Also, did they check to see if your string stretched? If it stretched enough for your draw length to change that much it would be out of tune and should be fixed.

Paul
Old 08-08-2004, 08:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Basically what it comes down to is, if you think your draw is too long then it is. No if ands, or buts. Find a shop that will do what you ask OR buy a Bowmaster portable press and you can do your own work. Then you know what you got. And you learn from the process.
Old 08-08-2004, 09:18 PM

I have a Fred Bear Vapor 300 with the perimeter OneCam.
Old 08-08-2004, 09:20 PM

My anchor point before was my thumb was hooked under my jaw slighty back from the corner of my mouth.
Old 08-08-2004, 09:23 PM

one cam is the problem. The strings stretch out. If you ever buy a new bow, go cam & 1/2