Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 changing bow string >

changing bow string

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

changing bow string

Old 01-05-2008, 06:59 PM
Spike

Default changing bow string

when should i change he string and cable? i have a mathews switchback xt bought it in june 2007 have shoot it all summer and praticed a lot. also do any of you change your arrows? can you out use the spline? i have only been bow hunting for two years . thanks for any help.
Old 01-06-2008, 11:46 AM

Default RE: changing bow string

The general rule is to change the string and cables at the same time. Every two years if you don't shoot a lot and if the string doesn't appear worn. More often otherwise. One of the 3-D shooters in this area changes strings every three months.

I have heard that carbon arrows will, over lots of shots, get a little softer. No personal experience here, though.
Old 01-17-2008, 07:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: changing bow string

Another factor is how well you took care of the string. If you waxed them after each shooting session and didn't rub them on anything to fray them too badly the string willlast 2 seasons.Some people that shoot a lot but do notshoot competitive target replace them every year. Some guys replace after 1000 shots.

Overtime the spine on carbon arrows will "wear out" depending on how much you shoot and also if you shoot groups or one arrow per target. I don't think there' a set rule on the maximum number of shots per arrow. I think one guy on here said that he's still using the same arrows from 4-5 yrs ago.

However, if you don't feel comfortable with the arrows it's time for new ones. If the arrow has a crack in it or sounds funny when you flex it toss it. If you start to get erratic arrow flight that is not from the rest being out of tune it's time to change.