Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 changing bow string?? >

changing bow string??

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

changing bow string??

Old 08-14-2005, 06:11 PM
Fork Horn

Default changing bow string??

how long do you guys get out of a bow string? i took my bow into a new bow shop to geta few servings done, the `bow tech` said i needed new string and cables, my bow is only 3-4 years old the cables look fine to me, the string is about a year old, with about 300 shots. `im thinking they are screwing with me???
Old 08-15-2005, 05:00 AM

Default RE: changing bow string??

Some string material degrades more quickly with time. Sometimes strings wear very rapidly because of poor construction or because it is rubbing on a cam. Without looking at the string, no one can tell you for sure if it needs replacing. Why not ask them why it needs replacing? Then base your decision on the reasonableness of their answer. Keep in mind that it's better to be safe than sorry, when it comes to the chance of a bow coming apart at full draw - trust me, I know!

I replace mine every year, but then again, I build my own and I shoot a whole lot more than 300 shots each year. And, I never wait until I see noticable wear.
Old 08-15-2005, 05:44 AM
Typical Buck

Hum.....60 bucks for new string and cables or broke string and maybe damage to a 600dollar bow.. Like the other feller said, just simply ask the tech why they need changing and see how logical his answer is.. I change mine every year, but I also shoot a lot...
Old 08-15-2005, 07:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with Straightarrow. Maybe the tech is seeing something that you didn't notice? I'd ask him to point out what he saw and explain why he feels it needs replaced.
Old 08-15-2005, 05:03 PM
Fork Horn

i don`t mine spending the money, but in this area, eveybody is a bow teck,besides the owner,looked at my bow,never said a word, just makes me wonder about it being a new store.