Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Question about String Servings >

Question about String Servings

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Question about String Servings

Old 01-01-2008, 01:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Question about String Servings

I'm getting ready to get some new strings (from John of course) and as I'm looking into what I need, I thought of something. The strings I have on currently seem to have an excess of serving. There is a good 6" around my D-loop, plus an additional 3-4" after the last point of contact on both of my cams.

My question is, if I know where my nock point needs to be, is it ok to only have a few inches (say 3") served around that area. As for the cams, can I measure the length of serving needed for where the cams come in contact, plus an additional amount (say 1-2"). I'm thinking that the servings are there mainly to reduce wearon the strands of the string, and if there isn't any contact on these areas, its ok to not have them served, correct? This would make the string lighter and thus faster, correct?

Does this make sense or am I missing some vital part of the servings purpose?

Thanks in advance,
Steven
Old 01-02-2008, 06:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Question about String Servings

ttt

Anybody have any ideas?
Old 01-02-2008, 06:45 AM

4" is the minimum i use for center serving.i can knock it down to 3" if i have exact nock location, but that's as low as i'd go. you need serving above and below to keep the nock pt from slipping. same on the cams, at least1.5-2" above the cams is nice to keep the back whip knots from getting unwound. john
Old 01-02-2008, 07:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks John. When I get back to school I'll take the necessary measurements and give you a call. I figured there was a reason to have more serving than just to prevent wear (ie: prevent slippage), butI didn't think I needed at much as was on my old string. My guess is they just serve a whole bunch of it so there is no chance of not having it wherever the nockpoint ends up being...or for different drawlengths.