Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

String question

Old 11-22-2008, 07:43 AM

Default String question

Hello all,

I have a Horton Summit 150 and a piece of the orange part of the string in the center that the boltrest on (whats that called anyway?) has broken and started to unravel. Probably due to me not using enongh rail lube. Is there a way to fix it our should I look into getting a new string.

John
Old 11-22-2008, 10:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: String question

It's called the center serving and needs to be replaced asap either by reserving or another string. It protects the string itself. Most compound xbows need a bow press to remove/replace strings. You may be able to reserve yours w/o that either by taking the riser off bow or using a gizmo that's hard to describe. I'm not at my own computer, so here's a post I made when I was w/ a pic of it. Post #17
http://www.crossbownation.com/community/showthread.php?t=1472&page=2

Good luck!
Old 11-22-2008, 11:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Be careful
Old 11-22-2008, 03:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I make my own strings, re serve etc. If you don't know what it's called, serving may be more than you should chew off. Most pro shops around here don't even know how to do it well. It's not as simple as serving a vertical bow where the string does not have to be removed. If you don't have a press, and know what material to use and how to do it, you can take your bow apart by removing the stock and serve the string that way..if the cables aren't too close. Otherwise take it to a crossbow savvy shot to reserve or replace the string.
Old 11-22-2008, 05:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Cossack

I make my own strings, re serve etc. If you don't know what it's called, serving may be more than you should chew off. Most pro shops around here don't even know how to do it well. It's not as simple as serving a vertical bow where the string does not have to be removed. If you don't have a press, and know what material to use and how to do it, you can take your bow apart by removing the stock and serve the string that way..if the cables aren't too close. Otherwise take it to a crossbow savvy shot to reserve or replace the string.
our shops here wont even do it.

they will always just put on a new string when serving is gone.
Old 11-22-2008, 06:46 PM

Default A new String

is all they said they could do for me when I called my local bow shops. I went to the one to get it done only to find out my arms are cracking [:@]They told me it is still under warranty but it will be about 3 weeks untill I get the xbow back []I was sooo sad.
Old 11-22-2008, 08:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: A new String

ORIGINAL: SGTLOWE

is all they said they could do for me when I called my local bow shops. I went to the one to get it done only to find out my arms are cracking [:@]They told me it is still under warranty but it will be about 3 weeks untill I get the xbow back []I was sooo sad.
you are lucky, my limbs cost me 125 dolllars as it was over warranty.

and i never dry fired it, they said if your crossbow is over 8 years old or so, it will crack on HORTON BOWS.

i wish i could relax the pressure on limbs,maybe that has some to do with it, they said no, its AGE does it.
Old 11-23-2008, 08:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Best advertisement I could imagine for EXCALIBUR, lifetime warranty...and they honor it.
Old 11-23-2008, 09:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Cossack

Best advertisement I could imagine for EXCALIBUR, lifetime warranty...and they honor it.
Ask Planter about that warranty. Think his replacement limbs were on their way to him before his came off the bow. I mailed a set of limbs still on the riser on a Monday, had them back the same Saturday. All by Priority mail.
Old 11-24-2008, 04:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

i also sent my riser assbly to Dan Miller and had new set installed and a new string on it in one week from me to him and back! quality service