Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 How much do you shoot? >

How much do you shoot?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

How much do you shoot?

Old 12-21-2007, 09:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: How much do you shoot?

ORIGINAL: RLoving1

I just got my bow and started shooting last Saturday,I average about 10 pulls each time out in back yard and do that about 7-8 times a day.Each time working on concentrating on all areas till they become natural.How much should a person practice? I am wanting to get very consistant at 20 yards then start working back 5 at a time.Any suggestion on amount and time would be great.
You won't be able to focus on all areas at one time.bowdoc gave some good advice.

I will add afew things to what he said.I will add some pics and links of me for reference only,it isn't neccesary to copy what i am doing completely.BUT,what I am doing is a good starting point.

Learn what proper form is and how the proper draw length relates to it.(post pics and we can help)

Learn what a proper release feels like.(should be a surprise and your hand should fly back)

Again,for reference only.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxOwEPsvHVQ

Learn how to aim properly.A good way to learn this is to hold the pin on target at full draw for a few seconds and let down to get the jist of what aiming should be.Don't worry if the pin is "floating",that is what you want,you just want it to float on the SPOT you are aiming at.

You need to separate these things for learning purposes.DON'T JUST GO FLING ARROWS.That will develop too many bad habits.

Work on the release one day as bowdoc described,up close without aiming.Then in another session,later that day or the next,focus on the aiming without releasing.

The form can be worked on in front of a mirror.Work on keeping the feet under the shoulders and keeping the hips from shifting forward or back.Also try to keep the head from moving to much to get to the string.

The grip is part of form imo and is also a critical part of the equation.

Here is a pic(not me) to give you an idea of what to look for.This does not have to be copied but should give you an idea of what you should be trying to accomplish.

Notice that in the pics and link how everything is relaxed,that is another key element.Relax those muscles because tension creates fatique and shaking.

If you need any help,there are plenty willing to give it.JUST ASK
Old 12-21-2007, 10:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have looked at some of your post helping others TFOX! Been lots of help! I have been getting coaching from Ratus via long distance also,his photos along with yours are my guide.I am going to do like you said and go out and practice like you said...one thing at a time! The floating pin deal is what will take some getting use to...other advice was "focus on where the arrow goes not the pin and both eyes open" is some sage advice!I've shot rifles so long that the release concept is different.Draw bow release...squeeze trigger,this may help with rifles also! You guys are great!
Old 12-21-2007, 10:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: RLoving1

I have looked at some of your post helping others TFOX! Been lots of help! I have been getting coaching from Ratus via long distance also,his photos along with yours are my guide.I am going to do like you said and go out and practice like you said...one thing at a time! The floating pin deal is what will take some getting use to...other advice was "focus on where the arrow goes not the pin and both eyes open" is some sage advice!I've shot rifles so long that the release concept is different.Draw bow release...squeeze trigger,this may help with rifles also! You guys are great!
Release concept is different BUt you can use the squeeze method with some good results,especially for a hunter.Really not a bad place to start but bt is best but the squeeze method or command shooting is probably much more common in the field but knowing both is best.

Definately focusing on the target and letting the pin sit on the spot with both eyes open is alsothe best imo.

Don't get me wrong,you can shootMy post made it seem like all work and no play.There does come a time to put the practice to work.

Work on 1 thing for a while and then shoot for fun,then work on something else.

Just make sure you aren't trying to get everything "right" at 1 time and you will determine what is right in short order.
Old 12-21-2007, 10:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

AND,to answer the question,I used to shoot several hundred arrows a week,maybe a thousand.I would spend hours just shooting.

NOW,not so much,I haven't shot my bow for several days.I will pick it up from time to time and practice my release which at this point for me,is my ,main point of focus,the rest is pretty naturall by now.
Old 12-21-2007, 11:39 PM
Typical Buck

I try to shoot every other day.
Old 12-22-2007, 06:25 AM
Host of Hosts

I only shoot about 15 arrows a day. Then when winter techno hunt league starts I shoot that once a week and 20 arrowrs every other day. Just to keep the muscles in shape.
Old 12-22-2007, 06:40 AM
Typical Buck

The warmer months, I shoot 3-4 days a week, about 50 to 100 shots per day. This winter I haven't shot much. gotta get back to it.
Old 12-22-2007, 07:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

How much do you shoot?
A lot!!!![:-]
Old 12-23-2007, 12:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

figured out one problem! I would try to control my release,now I just have my thumb next to jaw line and finger covering trigger,other fingers just relax out in nowhere land! I think I was trying to anticipate release and catch it.Now I draw back focus on aim point and relax the extra fingers...making more consistant hits! And don't over think the whole process,less time I take better I shoot!
Old 12-23-2007, 01:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

My personal thoughts and regimen is to shoot 3 times a week,30-60 perfect shots per session. I shoot every single arrow as if my life depended on it-form,shot placement,release,etc being as if it's theONLY shot.