Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 How much do you shoot? >

How much do you shoot?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

How much do you shoot?

Old 12-21-2007, 12:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default How much do you shoot?

I just got my bow and started shooting last Saturday,I average about 10 pulls each time out in back yard and do that about 7-8 times a day.Each time working on concentrating on all areas till they become natural.How much should a person practice? I am wanting to get very consistant at 20 yards then start working back 5 at a time.Any suggestion on amount and time would be great.
Old 12-21-2007, 01:03 PM

Default RE: How much do you shoot?

This could vary quite a bit, depending on the shooter. One guy I know shot 100 arrows every day for a couple of years, and finally slowed down to a couple of sessions a week. Once you get proficient, assuming you only hunt and don't compete, shooting could become purely a maintenance program - shoot just enough to stay in shape and good form.

Personally, I enjoy shooting; but am trying to limit my practice somewhat to prolong the need for rotator cuff surgery. The notion of shooting 8 or 10 arrows, quitting for a few hours, and shooting 8 or ten more arrows seems to be a better alternative to shooting continuously for several hours.

And how much you shoot can often be dictated by how heavy of a draw weight you are willing to tackle. I could probably shoot twice as much without shoulder pain by dropping to a 45 - 50 pound bow. Or half as much by going up to a 70 lb. bow.
Old 12-21-2007, 01:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

It's really an individual thing. Whatever you feel comfortable with, and can maintain the level of concentration needed.

I go and shoot once or twice a week for a couple of hours at a time. But I've been shooting for more than 50 years, so it's more for fun and relaxation more than for getting good.
Old 12-21-2007, 01:16 PM
Typical Buck

3 times a week outdoors if the weather allows, about 50-60 shoots. 30 very slow muscle memory shots, work on form etc. Then 20-30 fun shots, crouching, walk and stop, odd shots, to get ready for stalk hunts.
Old 12-21-2007, 01:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

2-3 times aweek ifI feel good.Some 3-D's in the winter then back too 2-3 times a week in spring,summer,fall....
Old 12-21-2007, 01:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Usually I shoot before going to work for about 20-30 minutes. Then usually just after dinner, I shoot again. I'm guessing on average maybe 50 arrows per day. But that would also depend on which bow I'm using. If I'm using a heavy bow, maybe 25-30 per day.
Old 12-21-2007, 02:34 PM

Good practice a lot of arrows if it's bad practice (I miss) I stop shooting before I learn a bad habit. If I pick up a bad habit I go back to shooting at 5 yard and not trying aiming at anything and work on my form tell it feels good again. When you trying to aim hard some times a bad form sneaks in on you and if you keep shooting you are practicing it and it become a habit that hard to brake. When aiming hard at some thing you can't be thinking of other thing like your form. are your release it should come natural and when some thing wrong you can feel it at the shot and know what you done by the feel of the shot and correct it. If you can't don't practice it go back to form practice and don't think about aiming.
Old 12-21-2007, 05:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think my biggest thing right now would be my release,I just grabbed one at Academy and shoulda thought it through more and ask which one...it's a truefire patriot,and still some feelings of the string going poof by my eye!After I get the muscle memory in the shoulders and get over my string jump things will come together.If I get tired I feel it in my extended shoulder and forearm...that string sting just yells "break time!"And gonna try to cut back to about 50 total every other day.
Old 12-21-2007, 05:30 PM

Remember, "Perfect practice makes perfect!" It's not about just going out and flinging arrows, it's about executing perfect shots everytime you make one. You're better off practicing and achieving 5 perfect shots than you are 50 bad ones.
Old 12-21-2007, 05:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

A buddy gave me some sound advice for hunting with a bow...first arrow is all that matters! Now My first arrow is what I focus on the most! The rest are memory builders.

Quick Reply: How much do you shoot?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.