Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Draw weight question >

Draw weight question

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Draw weight question

Old 12-06-2007, 04:32 PM

Default Draw weight question

my bow is set for a max of #50 is there a way to get it a few more pounds higher, because i am at 48 and i would like to be able to get alittle longer life out of my bow before i need to get a new bow because it is too easy.
Old 12-06-2007, 04:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Draw weight question

Shorten the cables.

Mat
Old 12-06-2007, 05:09 PM

ok thanks
Old 12-07-2007, 10:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

The problem with just shortening the cables is that this increases the draw length, too. To keep the present draw length you can put some twists in the cables and the string. How much is determined by the length of the cables and string themselves. What this does is put more prestress on the limbs. It also will shorten the A2A of the bow and it won't be at the suggested specs, but this is not a big consideration.

It's possible that the rigging has crept since new which decreases the prestress on the limbs. Thus, a weight loss.

One thing. The bow may actually be 50#. Maybe the scale is off a little. Makes no difference anyway.As far as it being too easy? There is no such thing. Drawing a bow is supposed to be easy. Easy means you can control it better which leads to being able to develop good form.
Old 12-07-2007, 10:19 AM

In your situation it just isn't gonna happen. You are already looking for ways to shorten your draw length, like twisting up the string. This is going to LOWER your peak draw weight, not raise it.

I hate to say it, but if you want it all you are going to have to start looking for a different bow that fits you and will do what you want it to do.

Depending on the bow you have there are a few ways to increase the draw weight, but it isn't overly safe and I don't feel inclined to tell you how to do it. I got my 60 lb darton up to around 70 lbs once. It's not something I suggest doing though.

Paul
Old 12-07-2007, 10:58 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: BGfisher

The problem with just shortening the cables is that this increases the draw length, too. To keep the present draw length you can put some twists in the cables and the string. How much is determined by the length of the cables and string themselves. What this does is put more prestress on the limbs. It also will shorten the A2A of the bow and it won't be at the suggested specs, but this is not a big consideration.

It's possible that the rigging has crept since new which decreases the prestress on the limbs. Thus, a weight loss.

One thing. The bow may actually be 50#. Maybe the scale is off a little. Makes no difference anyway.As far as it being too easy? There is no such thing. Drawing a bow is supposed to be easy. Easy means you can control it better which leads to being able to develop good form.
I was going to suggest that. Any time you twist your string or cable, you change you draw length. If your bow can go above 50lbs, turn the limb screws equal amounts. Make sure to keep up with tiller. Even though you tighten the screws the same, you will still need to make sure your tiller doenst change. If your bow is maxed out, you will need to get another bow.
Old 12-08-2007, 05:22 PM

Get 50-60# limbs. Other than that, the only reasonable thing to do is to purchase a new bow. IMO, I would much rather shoot a bow that's "too easy" than a challenge to pull back.
Old 12-08-2007, 05:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

You can keep the same draw length by twisting both the string and cables, and raise the draw weight a bit too. Problem is, twisting the string and cables puts more pre-bend on the limbs andthat will shorten their service life somewhat. Italso increases your brace height and that practically cancels out any speed gain you might have gotten by the extra draw weight. You wind up working harder for absolutely no gain. If you are really determined to go with more draw weight, the only practical solution is, as others have said, gettingnew limbs or a new bow.