Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Luminok????

Old 11-04-2007, 04:42 AM

Default RE: Luminok????

I have tried the Luminok before and didnt like them.They always didnt light up when shot and seemed to fit in the arrow shaft to loose.I might try making my own.
Old 08-31-2012, 04:44 AM
Spike

Tried them (Luminocks), pain to install since they require metal to set the contacts off which in turns causes them to light up, trouble getting them to light, once lit I couldn't get them turned off. Pretty finicky piece of kit. Great concept if you can get them working. I like the idea but I'm going to try another brand.
Old 08-31-2012, 04:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

I've used Luminocks and Tracers and I don't care for either. The luminocks add too much weight to the rear of the arrow and actually cause your arrow to hit high. as much as 7"at 30 yds for my set up. The tracers were a pain as they needed a magnet to turn on and off and were also heavy.
My solution came about this year with the Nocturnal. This nock only weighs 20 grs (that's only 7 gr over a std nock). I shot them on a 3d course last weekend side by side with my regular nocked arrows and could find no difference out to 40 yds. There were no failures to light and were highly visible (green).
All this being said, the nock will help you see your arrow hit but it will not help you kill the animal. There is nothing that will replace a well placed broadhead in the vitals for a quick humane kill.
Old 08-31-2012, 05:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
I've used Luminocks and Tracers and I don't care for either. The luminocks add too much weight to the rear of the arrow and actually cause your arrow to hit high. as much as 7"at 30 yds for my set up. The tracers were a pain as they needed a magnet to turn on and off and were also heavy.
My solution came about this year with the Nocturnal. This nock only weighs 20 grs (that's only 7 gr over a std nock). I shot them on a 3d course last weekend side by side with my regular nocked arrows and could find no difference out to 40 yds. There were no failures to light and were highly visible (green).
All this being said, the nock will help you see your arrow hit but it will not help you kill the animal. There is nothing that will replace a well placed broadhead in the vitals for a quick humane kill.
I as well switched from Luminocks to NocTurnals and love them.

Crazinjun, are you speaking of the 2 metal wires on the sides that need to be compressed to light up or what? Most of the ones I shot and still have if bought correctly just might need a tad of shaving to fit but are mostly tight if installed correctly and installed in the correct shaft. I just went to the NocTurnals because a buddy at the bow shop gave me a 1/2dz as well as some Mathews Grim Reapers for helping him out with some work he needed done.

Last edited by SecondChance; 09-03-2012 at 06:10 PM.
Old 09-03-2012, 07:08 AM
Spike

Default why

the only reason i see to use them is to find your arrow after the shot. if you are watching the noch in flight u proabably gonna make a bad shot anyway. my buddy shot a doe and the arrow glowing close to dark spooked the nine pointer that came out minutes later and ran to me. at least he got to drag him with his doe.
Old 09-03-2012, 06:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by tim waller
the only reason i see to use them is to find your arrow after the shot. if you are watching the noch in flight u proabably gonna make a bad shot anyway. my buddy shot a doe and the arrow glowing close to dark spooked the nine pointer that came out minutes later and ran to me. at least he got to drag him with his doe.
If you are seeing your nock in flight means that you have proper arrow tuning and flight for it is traveling straight away from you and you have correct form and follow through in your shooting stance. And that buck more or less heard the commotion and spooked your way and not due to the glowing nock. I have had does walk over after a deer was shot and sniff the arrow to only find out very shortly what created that situation.
Old 09-09-2012, 04:50 PM
BTM
Fork Horn

Love illuminated nocks! Will never go hunting without them (where legal of course). And I don't give a rip about P & Y.

As far as the added weight, I haven't noticed much difference in flight out to 40 yards or so. However, I'm a bit AR, so I epoxy short threaded rods into regular nocks so I can practice with nocks of the same weight (25 grains for Luminocks and 20 grains for Nockturnals.)
Old 09-10-2012, 07:02 AM
Typical Buck

Make my own, 17 grains total weight, cheaper, and they work. I also don't drill my nocks like most video's show you.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have had the same Luminoks for about 3 years now. I have yet to have one fall out or not work. Now I will say that I only use an arrow with one of these for first light or dusk shots. The rest of the time an arrow w/o one is at the ready. I also shoot those hunting arrows only once before the season to make sure they light up and the arrow is still flying true.