Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Bow Speed Question >

Bow Speed Question

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Bow Speed Question

Old 09-10-2012, 07:46 PM
Fork Horn

Default Bow Speed Question

I have a Bear Charge, 70#, 29 in draw, 100 gr heads on carbon express 6050 predators. I know it's not the most advanced bow but it was my first one. My question is that I noticed my bow is much slower than any of the other brands and when shooting out to 40 yards I notice quite a bit of arrow drop. I chronographed the bow at 225 fps but just recently switched out my whisker biscuit for a fall away rest. So why is my bow only getting 225-230 fps when the IBO is 305? Why did the shop set me up with the heaviest arrows? And could I get lighter arrows without hurting anything?
Old 09-11-2012, 09:08 PM
Typical Buck

Since i own a bear charge ill help you out. Like i posted on your other topic. Since the average bow kills on a deer is 18 yards they probably weren't trying to set you up with a speed demon. Even with how fast your shooting your arrow will reach a deer at 20 yards in about a 1/3 of second. Im not saying i deer wont be able to duck your arrow but really 235 is fast enough. Plus when you shoot heavy arrows you will notice how quite your bow is (which is very important to me). You could get lighter arrows, but pick up some limb savers and string silencers while your at it. (string silencers may take a couple fps off)
Old 09-12-2012, 04:28 PM
Fork Horn

Speed isn't nearly as important as accuracy.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:41 PM
Fork Horn

I'm not one of those speed crazed guys although it probably sounds that way. I was just wondering if by going to a lighter arrow if I could get more speed to reduce the amount of arrow drop on 30-40 yard shots. And if it was okay to go to a lighter arrow based on arrow spine and my draw weight and length.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:10 AM
Typical Buck

look for a 350 spine and an arrow no more than 9.8 grains per inch.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:22 AM
Fork Horn

remember that you will likely never get to what your bow IBO speed is. I.E. Mathews sayin Monster will shoot 354fps. It just ain't ganna happen. That IBO speed is with the absolute ideal conditions and are still probably inflated ontop of that. All bow manufactures do it by the way. When an arrow strikes a deer its not about speed or weight. Its the comination of the two. This is why you have guys that buy really fast bows (i'll point the finger at myself) and then shoot FMJ arrows that are heavy as a hickory limb. The only thing that matters is the kinetic energy the arrow has when it strikes the deer. Yes if you shoot lighter arrows then you will have less drop at 30-40 yards but you will be really hurting your killing power at that distance too. Its the same reason crossbows are not recommened past 40-50 yards. Yes they can still accuratly shoot that far and yes they can kill a deer at that distance but you won't be causing the same internal trauma when the arrow hit. I know this really doesn't help but it explains a little bit why the bow show might have set you up with heavy arrows.