Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 refletching tips and tricks >

refletching tips and tricks

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

refletching tips and tricks

Old 10-16-2007, 02:49 PM

Default refletching tips and tricks

I was hoping to start a little thread about tips and tricks to fletching your own arrows. I am very new to fletching so I don't have any good advice but I know there are a lot of people on this site that have extensive knowledge in all aspects of our way of life. Right now I am wrapping arrows for the first time with what i think is pretty good results. I took everyone's advice and go the bitzenberger and though the directions weren't the greatest in the world I think I have gotten it down.
Old 10-16-2007, 03:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: refletching tips and tricks

Well...I like to put a drop of glue on each end of the Vane to keep iton better.....
Old 10-16-2007, 04:39 PM

Since I have a question also I thought this would be a good time to ask

What is the advantage/disadvantage of Wraps

Old 10-16-2007, 08:41 PM

One major advantage I have found is that if you screw up and have to take everything off the wrap leaves a whole lot less of a mess. Also makes it easier to track the flight of your arrow if you use bright colors. Couple downsides could be a slight increase in flight disturbance and a decrease in FOC. That is all i can think of but I am a newbie when it comes to fletching. I was wondering if anyone has good ideas for getting the old glue off of an arrow. I currently use paint thinner and a dull knife but that seems to take forever sometimes!
Old 10-17-2007, 06:48 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: indianahunter83

One major advantage I have found is that if you screw up and have to take everything off the wrap leaves a whole lot less of a mess.
Really? I have had more trouble getting everything clean when I have toscrape off the wrap as opposed to unwrapped fletchings. How do you get the sticky residue from the wraps off of the shaft? with the "just fletching" method I justuse my stripper to remove fletching and 90% of the glue and alcohol for the remaining 10%.However I cannotget all thewrap "glue" off of a shaft to save my life.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: RiverCity

Since I have a question also I thought this would be a good time to ask

What is the advantage/disadvantage of Wraps

Wrap Advantages: helps to better see arrow in flight, not near as big of a "mess" when removing fletchings, looks "cool" and adds a personalized touch to your arrows.

Wrap Disadvantages: Can't refletch just one vane...have to pull wrap off and re-wrap and re-fletch all vanes on the arrow. Will change FOC a little (although probably not much)

In regards to the thread originators question...I too, as anoter has stated, put a small dab of glue on the front of the vane and on the back of the vane to help keep the vane down. When doing this, I haven't ever had a vane start to peel off the shaft.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:54 AM

I found out that acetone (your wife's fingernail poish remover)gets the glue off pretty fast. Just a few swipes and it's gone. Works every time.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like to use Goat Tuff glue--works the best for me by far,and i've NEVER had a vane get ripped off(or fall off).
Old 10-17-2007, 09:37 AM

My problem is not getting them ripped off but shooting other arrows through the vanes and putting hole in them. I would just assume they would fly better if they were complete and undamaged vanes

League has been fun but can damage the arrows easily