Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Broadhead Question >

Broadhead Question

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Broadhead Question

Old 10-15-2007, 10:25 AM
Fork Horn

Default Broadhead Question

I posted this in the Bowhunting Forum and looking to see what you guys have to say. How much "energy" does a mechanical head need?My fiance shoots a diamond rapture lite at 43lbs with a gold tip 3555 and a 75 grain tip. The draw length is about 27". Not sure what kind of speed shehas. I guess I would rather have her shoot mechanicals but Im worried about her set being enough to make them effective. What do you guys think?On a side note I know theres really no way to test the set up other than on a real kill, but I dont want that to be the time to realize it isnt enough.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Broadhead Question

With a lower poundage bow like that I think she would be better off shooting a fixed blade head. Why spend KE on opening a head when it could be spent on penetration?
Old 10-15-2007, 02:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Broadhead Question

ORIGINAL: txjourneyman

With a lower poundage bow like that I think she would be better off shooting a fixed blade head. Why spend KE on opening a head when it could be spent on penetration?
I agree with txjourneyman.

You also might be able to get a hold of one of these computer programs, such as OnTarget and enter all the different variables and it will give you a fairly accurate estimate of KE, speed, and a whole bunch of other stats. I believe that the OnTarget has a 30 day full version trial for free. I don't have the program, but have used the trial version and it is a really nice tool to have. I know several members on huntingnet probably wouldn't mind running the numbers for you...