Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 broadhead question >

broadhead question

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

broadhead question

Old 10-12-2007, 09:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default broadhead question

I bought a pack of broadheads (G5 Strikers) and i have shot all of them in the woods. Not at a deer yet, but at fox, yote, and groundhog. My question is should i buy some new broadheads sice they have all been shot through animals, or should they be fine to take a deer? One seems to have a little chip out of one of the blades, and they are not as sharp as they once where.
Old 10-12-2007, 09:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: broadhead question

The rule on broadheads as far as I'm concerned is they are done! You CANNOT shoot a once shot broadhead through a deer UNLESS you either sharpen them or change out the blades for new ones. There is no excuse not to use razor sharp blades.

I'm glad you asked this question before using them again. DO NOT use them unless you change the blades or resharpen them to factory or better than factory sharp.

A broadhead once shot be it through an animal or into even foam should NEVER be used for big game.
Old 10-12-2007, 09:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

You should never shoot a broadhead at any animal that isn't as sharp as it can possibly be. So if you like these heads i would suggest that you go buy new blades, then its time to kick the tires and light the fires!!
Old 10-12-2007, 09:38 AM
Fork Horn

I asked the same question a month ago, i had no idea that they were a one shot deal. Do the animals a favor and replace the blades.
Old 10-12-2007, 09:40 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

The rule on broadheads as far as I'm concerned is they are done! You CANNOT shoot a once shot broadhead through a deer UNLESS you either sharpen them or change out the blades for new ones. There is no excuse not to use razor sharp blades.

I'm glad you asked this question before using them again. DO NOT use them unless you change the blades or resharpen them to factory or better than factory sharp.

A broadhead once shot be it through an animal or into even foam should NEVER be used for big game.
Thats my rules as well.
Old 10-12-2007, 09:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

This is along the lines of the originators question....if he decides to sharpen the blades, what is a good re-sharpener? I ask this because I have just thrown away the broadheads in the past and bought new. It would definitely be cheaper to re-sharpen a blade that isn't too damaged.
Old 10-12-2007, 10:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the advice!