Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 broadhead question >

broadhead question

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

broadhead question

Old 09-11-2007, 02:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default broadhead question

i am in southwest indiana and can not find a place to shoot my broad heads and i can not pay out the cash for a target that can have broadheads shot at it so is it ok for me to just hunt with them with out shooting them or what should i do
Old 09-11-2007, 02:29 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: broadhead question

You should shoot them. Even its into a pile of sand or something...heck shoot them into what ever you shoot your feildpoints into. It will just tear it up more and it might be a pain to get out but atleast you'll know.
Old 09-11-2007, 02:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Heck no!!!!!! You should always shoot them. You can pick up a target for less then $40.00. Would you shoot a rifle at a deer with out checking it?? For all the time you will spend hunting wouldnt you want to know that everything is good. DO IT FOR THE DEER IF NOTHING ELSE.
Old 09-11-2007, 02:31 PM

I actually have that same problem. The only deer I have taken was at 10 yards on the ground, so if there was any difference, 10 yds wasn;t enough to do it. I think Imight just save up and get one for next year. But I would deffinetely like to hear what to good word is on that.
Old 09-11-2007, 02:37 PM

I also don't have a target to shoot my broadheads into, so I just put up a couple bails of hay, and shoot at them.
Old 09-11-2007, 02:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Definitely shoot the broadheads before going out. Just becuase your target tips are shooting good doesn't mean your broadheads will. If anything, your bow will have to have some fine tuning done when shooting the broadheads. You can get a target at wal-mart that allows you to shoot target tips at one side and broadheads at the other side for around $20 or so. Definitely check the broadheads before shooting at a live animal...it's the ethical thing to do.
Old 09-11-2007, 03:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Even with a seemingly perfectly paper tuned bow, you can have impact differences between field points and broadheads. Definitely check your broadheads before hunting and save yourself the frustration and the animal the suffering. It is worth the few bucks.
Old 09-11-2007, 03:46 PM
Spike

Alwaysshoot your broadheads as mentioned here. It's just plain unethical to go out not knowing where your broadheads are hitting. Here is a good solution to your problem it's one I use, take a cardboard box layer it with old newspapers to the top and you have a very cheap target and at the least when your done, all you'll have to do is resharpen your heads, which you should do anyway before heading out to the woods