Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
What kinda stabilizer do you use? >

What kinda stabilizer do you use?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

What kinda stabilizer do you use?

Old 01-18-2002, 08:39 PM

Default RE: What kinda stabilizer do you use?

Ask a Rep who came into the shop today how much difference correct stabilization makes. He used to shoot professionally with a major manufacturer.

He came in the shop today with his new bows and was really happy with his beautiful new target model. It was a beauty and he asked me if I wanted to shoot it. I shot it and immediately told him it was a horrible shooting bow. It was poorly balanced and was jumping all over the place. He said, "you're crazy, look at that group". He was right, he was grouping quite well. The problem he had was that there was an occasional flyer and he was personally wearing out after about 20-25 shots. He couldn't see how his bow was really reacting during the shot sequence.

With his permission, I proceeded to rearrange his stabilizer set up. When we were finished, there were no more flyers, the groups were tighter, and he said the bow was soooo much more comfortable to shoot.

Proper stabilization is something that shouldn't be taken lightly; especially if you want to compete and/or endure.
Old 01-18-2002, 08:55 PM

I have loads of stabilizers. If you consider the Okie system, the number of combos would be in the hundreds. While I agree with Len that the exact configuration is specific, I feel the best sytem is obvious: Extremely light weight carbon tubes with doinkers and weights out there. My current favorites are the Shrewd system, which is reasonably priced, and very nice. On my hunting bows I am moving around an X-ring carbon tube with the powder weight dumped out, and Shrewd doinkers. I like a fat tube on the hunting unit so I have something comfortable to grab it with. I consider the multi-rod systems to be the same idea essentialy, but so far I haven't really found any of them I like, I haven't tried the Beiter. The problem with the super stixs, other than durability, is that they combine the buzz elimination with the weighting, so you can't easily/cheaply adjust them seperately.

I am kind of a Butch Johnson fan, in the FITA world, he has been a top shooter with just a rather simple single rod system. While what works for him isn't necesarily going to work for me, I like the idea of keeping the cost and clutter down at the outset. With the Mathews weights, and the riser weight distribution on those bows, and the weight distribution one gets with a compound, I am calling it a day after the main stabilizer.
Old 01-19-2002, 07:22 AM

I use a Tranquilizer but I wish it was a little shorter. Have'nt had a problem with that, it just kinda bugs me.

"Hunt smart, know your target and beyond"