Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 what kinda bow should i get >

what kinda bow should i get

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

what kinda bow should i get

Old 01-16-2006, 08:24 AM

Default what kinda bow should i get

I have got me aPSE bow right now but am soon wanting to get me a real nice bow. I want to get one with nothing on it and put some top of the line sites and stuff on it. Does anyone have any suggestions on a nice bow.

THANKS,
Old 01-16-2006, 09:03 AM

Default RE: what kinda bow should i get

BowTech Tribute or Allegiance for tree stand hunting and the BowTech Old Glory for spot and stalk hunting.

Old 01-16-2006, 09:43 AM

Go to reputable pro shop that carries most all of the top names in bow manufacturers.

From there you need to determine a few personal bits of information. Like price range, what you want to do with the bow, and your specific measurements.

The first thing you have to decide is if you are going to hunt with the bow, do a little bit of hunting and 3-D/Indoor targetshooting, or just strictly3-D/Indoor target shooting. Many bows can be used for both, but if you are looking at either one of the extreme ends of the spectrum, I would suggest you look into thespecific qualities that makebows either better suited for hunting vs. better suited for target.

If you want to do more hunting with the bow and you are looking into the top price ranges, you will find Mathews, Hoyt, and BowTech on that list. From there you have to shoot them and make a decision based on feel. This is where a good pro shops comes in. Try to find a dealer that carries all of these manufacturers. This way you can decide based on feel, not just what bow they push. You can expect to pay anywhere from $600-800 on the top bow from Mathews (Switchback), Hoyt (Trykon), and BowTech (Tribute/Allegiance).

If you want a little less pricey bow, look into Diamond bows (made by BowTech), Reflex bows(made by Hoyt),PSE, AR,Martin, Browning, etc.
The Diamond bows and Reflex bows aremuch like their higher end siblings, but usually carry less technology in componentsor last years technology, along with a lighter price tag. Easier on the wallet. Which savesroom for add ons and accessories.

If you are a younger archer (I am making an assumption) you may still be growing. If so, you might look into a module(s) (cam(s)) that has a wide range of drawlength adjustment. This way as you grow, the bow can continually fit you.

The pro shop should fit you for a proper poundage. If possible, try to have him set it up on the lighter side for now. Then you can also increase the poundage later. A decreased poundage bow will give you much more time to practice in the off season, to develop your form, muscle memory, and even give you the opportunity to practice longer. Then, as you get stronger you can always increase the poundage.

There is probably alot of things I have missed, but I wanted to give you a little insight into buying a bow.

In the end, don't tie your hands behind your back and do what I did, I got locked into a bow too fast. Even though I am happy with the bow, I didn't really try out anything else.

Look around, visit different pro shops and then decide which one deserves your business.

Finding a good pro shopis as valuable as finding the best feeling bow in your hands.

Old 01-16-2006, 09:57 AM

mathews
Old 01-16-2006, 10:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

Excellent advice so far...cept for the last post.... If price is no object then I do agree that you should give the Bowtech lineup a hard look. I would be willing to bet that the Tribute is going to be the best seller of high end bows this year.

If price is somewhat of a consideration then take a gander at the Diamond line. Some excellent bows in there with great combinations of speed, forgiveness and accuracy...and at some attractive prices.
Old 01-16-2006, 10:37 AM

Let us not also forget about the Hoyt and Reflex line. The V-tec is darn hard to beat, as is the Reflex Grizzly.
Old 01-16-2006, 05:26 PM
Fork Horn

LOVE my BowTech Tribute!!!!
Old 01-16-2006, 05:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I Love my Merlin. Never will get rid of it, will probably hand it down to my boy though someday.
Old 01-16-2006, 06:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

Of course I am going to say BowTech, (my preferance)... But telling you what kind of bow to get is like asking us what kind shoes you should buy..
Again Bows are like shoes.. what will you do with it? How often are you going to shoot? How much money do you want to spend? Most important does it fit you.
What works for me, may not work for you. I shoot a pro 40 dually, not many people like it or can shoot it. It doens't have much a valley, it's not very forgiving, but it's super fast. in fact the only thing faster is the BowTech Black Knight, and only a about 7 fps. more. but it works great for me for 3D, and I can hit a rabbit in the head at 40 yards.. ( not running)
Bols is right, go to a reputable pro shop and shop around.. Of course finding one you trust completely is like asking us what kind of bow to buy... I find most people in pro shops push what they are going to make the most money.. for some reason, pro shops in my area the Dallas Ft. Worth area are ownedarrogant, obnoxious and full of it people.
Any go out and find a bow that fits you... you shoot it, and you know how much you want to spend. You are the ultimate one that will be shooting that bow.
Old 01-16-2006, 09:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Bols

Go to reputable pro shop that carries most all of the top names in bow manufacturers.

From there you need to determine a few personal bits of information. Like price range, what you want to do with the bow, and your specific measurements.

The first thing you have to decide is if you are going to hunt with the bow, do a little bit of hunting and 3-D/Indoor targetshooting, or just strictly3-D/Indoor target shooting. Many bows can be used for both, but if you are looking at either one of the extreme ends of the spectrum, I would suggest you look into thespecific qualities that makebows either better suited for hunting vs. better suited for target.

If you want to do more hunting with the bow and you are looking into the top price ranges, you will find Mathews, Hoyt, and BowTech on that list. From there you have to shoot them and make a decision based on feel. This is where a good pro shops comes in. Try to find a dealer that carries all of these manufacturers. This way you can decide based on feel, not just what bow they push. You can expect to pay anywhere from $600-800 on the top bow from Mathews (Switchback), Hoyt (Trykon), and BowTech (Tribute/Allegiance).

If you want a little less pricey bow, look into Diamond bows (made by BowTech), Reflex bows(made by Hoyt),PSE, AR,Martin, Browning, etc.
The Diamond bows and Reflex bows aremuch like their higher end siblings, but usually carry less technology in componentsor last years technology, along with a lighter price tag. Easier on the wallet. Which savesroom for add ons and accessories.

If you are a younger archer (I am making an assumption) you may still be growing. If so, you might look into a module(s) (cam(s)) that has a wide range of drawlength adjustment. This way as you grow, the bow can continually fit you.

The pro shop should fit you for a proper poundage. If possible, try to have him set it up on the lighter side for now. Then you can also increase the poundage later. A decreased poundage bow will give you much more time to practice in the off season, to develop your form, muscle memory, and even give you the opportunity to practice longer. Then, as you get stronger you can always increase the poundage.

There is probably alot of things I have missed, but I wanted to give you a little insight into buying a bow.

In the end, don't tie your hands behind your back and do what I did, I got locked into a bow too fast. Even though I am happy with the bow, I didn't really try out anything else.

Look around, visit different pro shops and then decide which one deserves your business.

Finding a good pro shopis as valuable as finding the best feeling bow in your hands.

No other advice needed...good post.

Your going to get 100 opinions, whose opinion are you going to take? Asking this question is ridiculous and redundant on all the forums....go out and decide what bow best suites your needs....it might not be my brand but you'll choose wisely for you.

Quick Reply: what kinda bow should i get

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.