Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 What are your thoughts? >

What are your thoughts?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

What are your thoughts?

Old 10-05-2007, 12:53 PM
Fork Horn

Default What are your thoughts?

Time for me to start some trouble...

I was at my local pro shop the other day working on some paper tuning and asked the guy there to help me with some adjustment. He gave me some advise saying that there are 2 things in the archery world today that are useless and a waste of money. One is the Whisker bisket because it tears everything up and the other is a drop away rest (which i use). He said that there is no need for a drop away because if you properly tune a prong style rest you will never have contact. Also it is very easy to knock a drop away out of alignment and there are many things that could go wrong with them at the moment of truth.

I really didn't pay much attention to what he said and continued paper tuning. After a few more adjustments and getting nowhere with my tuning progress i put all of my arrows away except one and took 3 shots at paper. one shot was torn up and to the right, one just down and the last down and left.

It really started to get me thinking about the whole drop away craze. I never had problems like that with my old rest. and it looks like the launcher is coming all of the way up when i draw.

So...what are your thoughts about my problem and the drop away rests?
Old 10-05-2007, 01:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What are your thoughts?

Before paper tuning you have to make sure you have a good arrow, even spine and spins straight. The problem could have very well been your rest but it could also have been the arrow(s).

There are plenty of bows that have WB's and dropaways that tune just fine.
Old 10-05-2007, 02:34 PM

i have been using the w/b for yearsssss w/out any problems at all......it dont tear anything up.......my vanes have never fallen off.
i will however change my rest after the season to the hostage.....it's by bowtech and i have a bowtech so i'll gice it a try.

otto
Old 10-05-2007, 02:39 PM

are youn NJ by anychance..if so i know what shop you went to lol
Old 10-05-2007, 04:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

I don't agree that dropaways and the wb are as bad as the guy said, but I am definitely of the opinion that neither of them have nearly as much advantage over a properly adjusted prong rest as most people seem to think.
Old 10-05-2007, 05:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Arthur P

I don't agree that dropaways and the wb are as bad as the guy said, but I am definitely of the opinion that neither of them have nearly as much advantage over a properly adjusted prong rest as most people seem to think.
I agree with this statement completely.

I do use a fallaway but not for the same reasons as most.I use a full containmentbecuase I have been known to get down on the ground and crawl around to try and sneek up on something and Ihate a whisker buiscut.

The big advantage a fallaway has ison small diameter arrows.Helps eliminate fletching contact.

The biggest misconception is people try to get them to fall quick but the rest needs to stay up as long as possible before dropping for clearance.This gives guidance to the arrow and helps the paper tuning process(which is another misused tool,probably the most misused in archery)

Heck,I would use a spring steel rest if my arrow wouldn't fall off it in a hunting situation.That is the best rest for accuracy there is.
Old 10-05-2007, 06:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: TFOX

ORIGINAL: Arthur P

I agree with this statement completely.

I do use a fallaway but not for the same reasons as most.I use a full containmentbecuase I have been known to get down on the ground and crawl around to try and sneek up on something and Ihate a whisker buiscut.

The big advantage a fallaway has ison small diameter arrows.Helps eliminate fletching contact.

The biggest misconception is people try to get them to fall quick but the rest needs to stay up as long as possible before dropping for clearance.This gives guidance to the arrow and helps the paper tuning process(which is another misused tool,probably the most misused in archery)

Heck,I would use a spring steel rest if my arrow wouldn't fall off it in a hunting situation.That is the best rest for accuracy there is.
I agree with Art and TFox. In 35 years I've never had trouble tuning a bow whether I was shooting a flipper & berger button (anybody know what they are anymore?), prong style, Spring Steel, drop away or whatever. WHY? Because I took the time to learn how to tune and take the time to tune. And learned that properly spined arrows are one of the first priorities.

NO, a Spring Steel is not a good hunting rest, but is still tuneable and simple (KISS). YES, paper tuning is way over relied on. Limb bolts are one of the least used methods of tuning and one of the most useful.