Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Broadhead Tuning ? >

Broadhead Tuning ?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Broadhead Tuning ?

Old 10-04-2007, 08:41 AM
Spike

Default Broadhead Tuning ?

I have two arrows that the inserts came loose in so i was about to reglue them last night. The way i usually install inserts in Gold Tip arrows that im gonna hunt with is i glue the insert in the arrow with a broadhead on and i spin the arrow on my hand with the broadhead in my hand to feel for the broadhead wobbling. I turn the insert in the arrow till i dont feel any more wobble. Well last night i noticed that these two arrows are not cut perfectly square. Will this make it difficult to set broadheads in the arrow perfectly square? Im thinking i may look for a tool that squares the end of the arrow. The only one i found is like $40 bucks. Not sure if im setting up broadheads the correct way. Ive been doing it this way for about ten years and my broadheads fly pretty good, just looking to see if there is a better way.
Old 10-04-2007, 12:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Broadhead Tuning ?

I assume you're talking about the G5 squaring tool. Yeh, it's expensive, but, sorry to say, the only one on the market presently.

As to whether the arrow not being cut square is bad? I've always wondered about this myself. The insert fits pretty snug in the shaft so just how much can it wiggle, really? And I do as you do for checking broadhead alignment. Put the broadhead on the insert and then glue it in the shaft. Adjust for alignment before the glue sets up. That's why I'm a firm believer of 2 part epoxy. And just possibly that little bit of glue you wipe off fills in that slight void from an imperfect cut. Just my thougts on this.

I will say another thing about alignment. I use an InnerLoc head, which is similar to the Muzzy. The blades slide into the ferrule from the front. Once I have a ferrule on a shaft I never take it off. That's where it stays till I change arrows or broadheads, which isn't often for hunting.. I can still practice with the arrow, but put new blades in for hunting witout messsing up the integrity of the alignment.

This something that a lot of guys don't think about. They will build arrows and align everything practice with them and everything is fine. But when you take the heads off to change blades they don't always seat exactly the same every time when reinstalled. And for those that don't know, the head must go back on the exact arrow that it was removed from.
Old 10-06-2007, 10:01 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Taylorman

I have two arrows that the inserts came loose in so i was about to reglue them last night. The way i usually install inserts in Gold Tip arrows that im gonna hunt with is i glue the insert in the arrow with a broadhead on and i spin the arrow on my hand with the broadhead in my hand to feel for the broadhead wobbling. I turn the insert in the arrow till i dont feel any more wobble. Well last night i noticed that these two arrows are not cut perfectly square. Will this make it difficult to set broadheads in the arrow perfectly square? Im thinking i may look for a tool that squares the end of the arrow. The only one i found is like $40 bucks. Not sure if im setting up broadheads the correct way. Ive been doing it this way for about ten years and my broadheads fly pretty good, just looking to see if there is a better way.
Also I would invest in an Arrow Spinner, better than using your hands.
Old 10-07-2007, 02:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

To spin-test broadheads, I use a magnet stuck to the overhead ductwork in my basement. Wobble is pretty obvious, and it's easier and safer than trying to balance it in your hand.

I also leave my broadheads alone once installed, alinged, and spun.
My hunting arrows get tested with field points after assembly, and then they are re-tipped and put in the quiver until called on by a deer.
A tip only comes off if dammaged.

Old 10-08-2007, 01:29 PM
Spike

Well, i did some shooting over the weekend with field points and broadheads. All my broadhead arrows group well but were impacting about 2" left of my field points. So i move my arrow rest right just a hair and now they are dead on with my field points. Nice to not have to move sights for broadheads.
Old 10-08-2007, 07:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good job.
That's the way to do it.
Tune your stuff so it shoots right, instead of covering up a problem.
Well done.