Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Broadhead Tuning >

Broadhead Tuning

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Broadhead Tuning

Old 05-24-2005, 12:57 PM

Default Broadhead Tuning

I am shooting XX78 2315 arrows at 29" with 100 gr. points and fletched with 4" Quick Spins w// a 1 degree offset. I paper tuned the setup yesterday and am shooting pretty close to perfect holes everywhere from 6' to 50 yds.

I have chosen the 1 blade Magnus screw in heads as my broadheads. (similar to the Zwickeys) All but 1 of the 5 arrows I shot today is grouping them pretty close to the point of impact of the field tips. Groups have opened up a bit but nothing objectionable. One arrow is consistantly shooting high and left, no matter which broadhead is on it.

I have never tuned broadheads before. Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 05-24-2005, 01:21 PM

Default RE: Broadhead Tuning

have you tried turning the nock ?
Old 05-24-2005, 01:35 PM

Also spin the arrow to check for straightness. This is more critical for broadheads than field points.

If the arrow is straight and turning the nock don't work, use it as a tomato stake.
Old 05-24-2005, 02:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

newmans on to something , try even replaceing the nock . Check to make sure that that particular arrow is not hitting a fletch on the way out of the bow , and you might try cutting the inserts end square again by taking off the smallest amount off the end and reinstalling the insert . Spin the arrow in question in an arrow spinner with the head on and see if it spins true .
Old 05-24-2005, 03:30 PM

Spin the arrow to ensure there is no wobble, if there is, perhaps you could try using an arrow squaring device, made by Montec, square the insert a bit and spin again. If that doesn't work, replace the broadhead with a fieldpoint, and use it as a practice arrow. Sometimes, for whatever reason, certain arrows just don't like broadheads. I have all my hunting arrows numbered, 1st out, 2nd out and so on......If I find an arrow that consistently doesn't group with the others, it's life is spent on my bag target.
Old 05-24-2005, 09:36 PM

I have VERY tight fletching clearance with my cables. I think I may actually be having a tiny bit of contact with the cables. I figured since it paper tuned so well it wasn't much of an issue. Perhaps it's not an issue with the field points but becomes one with the broadheads.
Could this be an FOC issue? I just figured out my FOC this evening and have discovered that I am at about 5%. It looks like a switch to a 125gr head would bring me into the acceptable range.
Old 05-25-2005, 01:32 PM

I just put your numbers in bow jackson's foc caculater and it says you would need about 150 grains to get you to 10%.How much do your arrows weight?
Old 05-25-2005, 02:52 PM

I just replaced my 100 gr. field tips with some 125gr. tips. That brings my total arrow weight to 565gr.. By my calculations it puts me at 8% foc. Using the Magnus Stinger 125gr heads will put me just short of 8% with the length difference. As I understand it I need to be in the 7 to 10% range.
I shot the 6 arrows that I have prepared at 20 through 60 yards. (field tips) Out to 50 yds I am clustering them in the bullseye if I do my part. I started to fall apart at 60, partly due to a varying crosswind. I'll try again tomorow with the 125gr. Stingers and take it from there.
My only concern now is that I only have enough sight adjustment to get to 60 yds. What will I do if that buck passes my stand at 80 yds.?
Seriously though, I have my arrows numbered and starting tomorrow I will begin recording all of my broadhead shots. Does broadhead orientation to the arrow make a difference. Would turning the inserts have an effect?
Old 05-25-2005, 03:02 PM

ORIGINAL: Landjaeger

I just replaced my 100 gr. field tips with some 125gr. tips. That brings my total arrow weight to 565gr.. By my calculations it puts me at 8% foc. Using the Magnus Stinger 125gr heads will put me just short of 8% with the length difference. As I understand it I need to be in the 7 to 10% range.
I shot the 6 arrows that I have prepared at 20 through 60 yards. (field tips) Out to 50 yds I am clustering them in the bullseye if I do my part. I started to fall apart at 60, partly due to a varying crosswind. I'll try again tomorow with the 125gr. Stingers and take it from there.
My only concern now is that I only have enough sight adjustment to get to 60 yds. What will I do if that buck passes my stand at 80 yds.?
Seriously though, I have my arrows numbered and starting tomorrow I will begin recording all of my broadhead shots. Does broadhead orientation to the arrow make a difference. Would turning the inserts have an effect?
Old 05-25-2005, 03:03 PM

UMMMMMMMMMMM,that did not work[:@]

Quick Reply: Broadhead Tuning

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.