Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Sight out of travel >

Sight out of travel

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Sight out of travel

Old 10-01-2007, 08:17 AM
Fork Horn

Default Sight out of travel

My sight is all of the way to the right and i cant move it anymore. i am still shooting about 4-5 inches to the right andarrow flight looks good. What could cause this? Do i need to try paper tuning again to make sure the rest isnt kicking the arrow to the right? I am using a trophy ridge drop zone and i have tried the cock vane inthe up and down positions with no change.

Thanks

Vince
Old 10-01-2007, 08:22 AM

Default RE: Sight out of travel

It sounds like your bow is way out of centershot. Put the levels to it and get 'er squared up.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:28 AM
Fork Horn

How do ou check center shot?
Old 10-01-2007, 10:35 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: tremolo

How do ou check center shot?
Walk-back tuning..
Start at 10 yds from your target, with your 20 yd pin shoot an arrow towards the top of the target. Tie a string to the arrow with a weight on the other end of the string, (plumb bob). Now, move back to 20 yds, and shoot at the first arrow with the 20 yd pin. Move back to 30 yds, using your 20 yd pin shoot at the top arrow. Move back to 40 yds, again using the 20 yd pin shoot at the top arrow. If you were to draw a line from the top arrow to the bottom arrow and the line looks something like this / or this \ you need to adjust your center shot. Just move your rest in small increments right or left and keep repeating the above process until your arrows are in a line like this |.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:21 AM
Fork Horn

I am a little confused on a lot of stuff that i have been reading about adjusting the rest. I thought that first you are supposed to paper tune until you are shooting bullet holes. I have been reading about this walk back shooting and when people have broadheads that don't group with the field points that you need to adjust the rest. What is the point of paper tuning to bullet holes if you are going to make changes to center shot with walk back tuning or trying to group broadheads with field points? It has been a few years since i have shot a bow and i never really understood the tuning process. I really don't have a good pro shop to go to around me that i can trust. The one place that seems like he would be helpful is a jerk... Last time i went shooting there i asked for him to paper tune for me and he said that i had to do it myself. Which i understand that i should do it myself but he wouldn't even tell me how to make the adjustments on my bow to fix what i was shooting. The next thing i knew i ended up breaking my rest (parts went flying). Thats when i switched to the drop zone because it looked like it was straight forward on making adjustments.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:28 AM

Papertuning is only a starting point, the other methods dial it in.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:51 AM
Fork Horn

Try the "walk-back" tuning. My bow was shooting great @ 20 yds and about 1 foot right @ 40 yds, but still shooting bullet holes. Did the "walk-back" thing got a good vertical line out to 50 yds. went back in shot at paper from 6 feet back, still shooting bullet holes. Didn't question it, just went with it. Guess thats the difference between "bullet hole gravy" and mashed potatoes and "backstrap gravy" and mashed potatoes.