Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Peep sight string >

Peep sight string

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Peep sight string

Old 09-30-2007, 06:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Peep sight string

My peep sight string on my Hoyt HavocTec (4 yrs. old) dry rotted at both ends so I cut 1/2" off each end, tied the front back on & slipped the sting into the peep sight "attachment point". Is this OK to do?

Also, upon drawing back, I noticed the peep sight string is not level w/ my nocked arrow, does this make a difference? I retied in the exact same spot as it's been tied for 4 years now and it shoots fine, just something I noticed and thought I'd ask.

Thanks!
Old 09-30-2007, 07:37 AM

Default RE: Peep sight string

everything is fine
Old 10-01-2007, 07:58 AM

You should get a new piece of tubing. It is now most likely too short (actually most shop install them too short to begin with). Also it is old and could easily fail.

It should be long enough so that it barely stretches at full draw -- just enough tension to keep your peep straight. It should not stretch where it were to part it could snap back and hit you in the eye. By keeping it long enought to just turn the peep you do not have to worry about a failure or an injury to your eye.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:55 AM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: RobVos

You should get a new piece of tubing. It is now most likely too short (actually most shop install them too short to begin with). Also it is old and could easily fail.

It should be long enough so that it barely stretches at full draw -- just enough tension to keep your peep straight. It should not stretch where it were to part it could snap back and hit you in the eye. By keeping it long enought to just turn the peep you do not have to worry about a failure or an injury to your eye.
Excellent advise.

Most problems folks have with tube style peeps is they (the tubes) are installed incorrectly. Like mentioned above it should be just short enough to align the peep. You shouldalso install your peep as you would if you were using a tubeless peep. Set it so that it aligns when you draw, the tubingshould only be there to make sure it's perfectly aligned when you draw.

Lots of people just stick the peep in and make the tube do all of the work pulling it into position, that's not how you are supposed to install them. No wonder why they break on people. Tubing too short, tubingtoo old and improperly positioned peep is a recipe for failure.

Even the best made strings/cables can creep especially in extreme weather changes/conditions. All it takes is a 1/4 turn and you can't see through it. With the tube attached this will never happen.

Change your tube at least twice a year. I change mine once before hunting season and once after.It's only afew dollars...won't break the bank.
Old 10-05-2007, 05:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Allright, thanks guys. Heading to the Pro Shop today then